While I was pulling out mustard garlic (invasive weed once a French pot herb) Sunday, May 11, the beautiful fluty song of the wood thrush filtered down from the tall trees along the tributary of Stony Creek below Myrna Court off Sunset. One of the many blessings of preserving a forested area.
While spreading wood chips in my back yard around 9 AM this morning, a hawk flew in and perched on the two foot fence around my herb garden. The noise coming from the birds in the area was endless - Not their pretty songs. The Hawk had white around his beak but the rest of his face was gray. His wings and back were dark grey, but his belly, feet and chest feather were a beautiful snowy white. My best guess is that he was a Cooper Hawk. I stood very still and every time the hawk turned his head in the other direction I crept up on him as I have seen the cats in the neighborhood do. I felt all the excitement of the wild predator instinct that still lies latent in our human nature. I got within 20 feet of the Hawk. A new record for me. Then he flew off to the tree tops. Guess he was not interested in socializing with me. Still it made my morning to see such a handsome creature.
By Virginia Fitzpatrick
At 10 pm tonight a great horned owl was hooting "whose awake - me too" of in the woods beyond Myrna Court between Sunset and Embassy Circle. Wish I could see him, but they always hoot at night.
By Splicer
Have you seen any herons in East Norriton? We were surprised to see some sort of crested heron in a field off of Skippack Pike
near Whitpain Hills last Saturday.
Also be on the lookout for monarch butterflies migrating back to mexico. There are usually multitudes of them heading south by the end of September. Prime viewing is at the shore, from Ocean City to Cape May Point.
There were even enthusiasts tagging & releasing them at Cape May Point 2 years ago. How do you tag a butterfly? VERY Carefully.
By Virginia Fitzpatrick
Several years ago, I took a picture of a Blue Heron along the creek in the Farm Park. Another Heron flew across my deck a year or so ago, but I don't remember the date.

My neighbor saw a red fox just of Sunset this week.

I have a butterfly garden and last year it attracted many different types, but this year has been a disappointment. However. last year I had a tithonia in the garden, which I did not have time to plant this year. Thanks for the heads up about the Monarchs in December, I will keep a look out.
By Splicer
Last weekend of September into mid-October. Perhaps a bit later if the weather stays mild.
Always trying to avoid crowds I went to the Farm Park on Black Friday . There were a few guys and kids fishing - hoping to catch the trout the Stony Creek Anglers released this week. I trudged on and ran into this flock of geese all lined up in an evenly spaced row. They flew away honking when I walked by.

By Virginia Fitzpatrick
It is 11:30 PM and there is a Great Horned Owls hooting in my back yard. So far I only hear one owl.
Click on the arrow and You can hear the typical call of great horn owl hooting