I thought that I would cut and paste my "Letter to the Editor" that I recently sent to the Times-Herald. I had to trim down the version to them due to the 350 word limit. This provides a short introduction of me and my reasons for entering the race for Supervisor.

The Future of East Norriton Township is Now
East Norriton Township faces significant challenges over the next 6 - 10 years. The face of East Norriton is changing almost as fast as the seasons. Approved developments and major construction projects that are slated to break ground within the next year will significantly alter the northwest side of the township forever. During this time of expansion, there are continued infrastructure problems, fading greenspace all while taxes are on the rise.

It is these challenges that necessitate leadership with direct and relevant experience to address these issues and ensure that the interests of township residents are front and center. That is why I have collected the signatures and submitted the necessary paperwork to enter the race for one of two Board of Supervisors seats as an Independent candidate. Historically, Independent candidates have had a tough road to hoe and have faced substantial uphill battles to get their voices heard. I have no designs that this race will be any different. Then again, I never stepped away from a challenge.

I have spent the last 12 years solving the problems of our infrastructure and environment as a licensed environmental engineer. Working for a medium-sized civil and environmental construction company, I have worked to fix problems in other townships and cities that are similar to the ones we have now (and may potentially have in the future). From installation of public water systems to rehabilitation and replacement of aging sewer systems to management of large scale civil construction projects, all have been successfully completed under my management.

As a senior manager, I am intimately involved in business development, procurement and contracting, budget tracking and forecasting in addition to my role as an engineer. It is these skills that can help address the problems of the township. My thought process is very simple; we need to reduce taxes, preserve our remaining greenspace, repair and/or update our aging infrastructure and minimize the effects of upcoming construction projects just to name a few. Our taxes are on the increase at a time when wages are stagnant and health care costs are spiraling out of control. I have completed a review of the township’s budget and expenditures and believe that there is budget available that can offset future tax increases. We can manage through the upcoming hospital construction project with reduced impacts as long as someone experienced with major construction projects is involved. Finally, we can preserve our remaining greenspace and open parks, and deal with our aging infrastructure through a variety of set asides and management practices that have been successfully implemented in other townships across the country.

My goal over the next 3 months is to try to knock on every door within the township and speak to as many residents as possible. It won’t be easy. I don’t have political parties backing me, nor will I be asking for any donations during the campaign. I will be funding this grassroots campaign out of my pocket during these extremely tough economic times we live in. During the process of talking to residents in district 1-4, a number have asked why I would want to run for the Board of Supervisors and why I want to be a politician. My response is simple; I am not a politician, I am an engineer.

Kevin D. Dyson
East Norriton Township
Kevin Dyson clearly outlines some of the important issues facing our township and why he has the ability to deal effectively with them. He still needs to provide some contact information for local voters who want to ask questions or volunteer help. The GoEastNorriton forum allows members to post an email address to which bloggers can send private messages. One can also provide info for all readers on the blog and even post links, picture, movies for all to see.
By KevinDyson
Virginia Fitzpatrick wrote:Kevin Dyson clearly outlines some of the important issues facing our township and why he has the ability to deal effectively with them. He still needs to provide some contact information for local voters who want to ask questions or volunteer help. The GoEastNorriton forum allows members to post an email address to which bloggers can send private messages. One can also provide info for all readers on the blog and even post links, picture, movies for all to see.

Thanks Virginia!

I am still in the process of putting my website together, but I did get my email operational tonight so folks with questions can certainly email me.

Hopefully I can put the finishing touches on the website this week that brings a little more depth to my thoughts and ideas. On the site, I will have a blog for updates and also will regularly update my schedule so that folks can see where I am. Another option is my wife and I regularly walk our pups in District 1-4 in the evenings and on weekends, please feel free to pull me to the side.

Kevin
Just received a large slick EXPENSIVE negative campaign ad in the mail paid for by "Friends of Harris Dainoff and Friends of John Zurzola". I was weary of Dainoff and Zurzola when they bragged about being supported by Matt Bradford. In the 8 years I have been involved in local political campaigns, Bradford's campaign was one of the dirtiest and well financed campaigns I had ever seen. Our local democratic party never had the money that Dainoff and Zurzola are now spending for township office. I bet more would be uncovered investigating who Dainoff and Zurzola's friends are than the accusations that Dainoff and Zurzola are making against their Republican opponents. I don't take any negative ad that comes out days before an election seriously, because the accusers know that voters have little time to find or hear the truth. If the accusations were substantial, they should and often do come out early in the election cycle. I vote candidate rather than party and during the last 10 years I have voted mostly Democratic, but not this time.
Last edited by Virginia Fitzpatrick on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Virginia Fitzpatrick
On his campaign web page { click here }Kevin Dyson warns us about the Einstein project:

We currently have a design that attempts to minimize the impacts, but a design is only as good as its implementation. Someone needs to be involved that has direct, civil construction experience that can hold Einstein and its contractors to every fact of that designf

So true. My brother bought into a new development with a very good design. The residents have had political and legal battles ever since trying to keep the developer to his promises. If elected Nov 3rd, Kevin claims his civil and environmental engineering background will help the township to enforce compliance to the agreed upon design with Einstein.