Have you seen the construction on North Wales & Township Line Road

yes
50%
no
50%
FALL 2007

Nine of the 209 units planned for the new David Cutler Group 105 acre development on the corner of Township Line and North Wales road are almost completed. The two story row homes are designed for active adults over 55. When I first saw them under construction in October 2007, I was saddened to see all the old trees cleared away for the new construction as seen below. Happily my misgivings were premature.

Walking down the road, I discovered the developers had saved many of the large old trees. At great expense they transplanted the old oaks and maples to an open area on the same development. Below you see a work crew installing an underground watering system to keep the transplanted trees alive while they establish new roots.

The David Cutler Group also hired landscapers versed in native plants to preserve and locate new trees and shrubs in the open spaces around the tributary to Stony Creek and the perimeter space surrounding the building units and retention basins. I was told that the town houses will cover 20 acres, so that over 80 acres will remain as open space. The native greenery will provide habitat for native birds that are now losing nesting and feeding areas in Montco. Pictured below is a collection of new Red osier Dogwoods delivered to the construction site last October. Red osiers are typically used to stabilize stream banks and ponds, because the shrub tolerates wet soil. It will be fun next spring to see how and where these new plants are growing.

[img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/VirginiaFitzpatrick/SCF_03w.jpg[/img]

As many local residents may have experienced, North Wales Road was closed last year for widening. While widening the road the Cutler Group put all their fiber optic cable and utilities underground. However, Peco and the telephone company did not bother to put their ugly polls underground during this opportune time. In the picture below, the power line marks the old boundary of North Wales Road. Obviously they had to move the poles.