By astontibs
This situation with our president trying to minimize and intimidate the Supreme Court has me pretty upset. They are unelected for a reason, so that they cannot be swayed by the will of the people. Their job is interpret law against the constitution. Just because elected representative pass a law doesn't make it constitutional. This is a fundamental part of our government system of checks and balances and our president can't change it just to suit his desires.
I was amused that a circuit judge gave the Department of Justice a homework assignment to explain what our president meant by his comments.
By norton
No doubt this president would like to be King.
What do you think of Ginsburg? I have little respect for her as a Judge.
Last edited by norton on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By JuneCarter
norton wrote:No doubt this president would like to be King.
What do you think of Ginsburg? I have little respect for her as a Judge.

Why such little respect for Justice Ginsburg? How do you feel about Scalia?
By Phaedrus
The job of the Supreme Court is not just to judge based on the Constitution, but also on established case law based on previous Supreme Court decisions including decisions to let lower court rulings stand without comment. Roberts in particular was very specific on this point during his confirmation hearings. The Supreme Court is usually very cautious about overturning previous decisions. They are also usually very cautious about overturning laws passed by Congress. Obama was commenting on this aspect after the court had already had its first vote. As for intimidation, how is it that every other elected official can comment one way or the other, but not the President?
By pinkie1978
Do we have a king or a president?

No, he is just a big JO.
Phaedrus wrote:As for intimidation, how is it that every other elected official can comment one way or the other, but not the President?

The word of the president carries much more weight than any other elected official. I believe he needs to be more careful.