Phaedrus wrote:Ryan,

I agree that it is wrong for the government to take action against him for his views or for giving money to support those views. However, you are dead wrong if you think this kind of thing only happens from the left.

I suspect the "kind of thing" you are referring to that the right is guilty of and the actual thing I am referring to are two different things.

If you are going to point to bad behavior to excuse other bad behavior, you actually need to point to specific behavior, otherwise ... "I know you are but what am I?"; "I'm rubber your glue etc."; "they all do it"

Show me where a republican attempted to expand the reach of government in voilation of the Constitution in the name of protecting the public... ok besides the Patriot Act :lol:
Ever hear of Nixon's enemies list? Or J. Edgar Hoover? How about the Bush firing of attorneys who would not prosecute Democrats?

I have friends who vote Democrat but are registered Republicans because they fear retribution from the County Commissioners office.
Phaedrus wrote:Why is it you only leap to the defense of white people? Hustler launched a horrible smear on gays and you just let it pass. Your constant choice of when to step in shows your own discriminating tastes.

Deflection???

Here's the deal, I had to go back and read his post. The one just before where you mentioned smearing gays. I read it twice because I couldn't understand what I was missing. So I went back a bit further and saw a longer post that started with something like "This isn't mine but I got it from...."

Can I be honest? Notice that I bolded the word READ earlier. I didn't write RE-READ. With out wanting to hurt Hustler's feelings, I kind of.... sort of..... in a round about way..... skip over many of his posts. Which is exactly what I did with that one when it was just a copy and paste job.

Side note: sorry Hustler. I don't mean to Hassle the Hustler. That's a little play off of the Hasslehoff joke.

So then I go back and re-read your post and I think that it only be fair that I read what he did say. So I read it and I guess you are talking about him smearing gay people because of the serial killer comments? If that's it, then I don't get it. I'm not coming to his defense by any means but it seems that he listed statistics. (I don't know the value of the author of these stats) but none the less he seems to have placed some facts that someone else did about the correlation of serial killers that are homosexual vs serial killers that are heterosexual.

Is it the paragraph before it about Gaetan Dugas and the bath house orgies and stuff? Are you saying that he is saying that all gay men and women just have a "If it feels good, do it" attitude? Again, I am not coming to his defense, but that section seems to be talking about bath houses from a time ago. I've never been to a bath house but I thought it was common knowledge of what they became and what was happening in them. If that's what you think he is saying then I don't agree with it. I think there are plenty of heterosexuals that have a "If it feels good, do it" attitude and there are plenty of heterosexuals that enjoy multiple partners sexually. Maybe you can tell me what he was smearing across the gay community?

Is Hustler's smearing of gay people similar to your smearing of caucasian people? The way you sort of blanketed that all white juries surely can't come to a justified conclusion? Now you may call up some cases from history from a time ago. But it is 2012 and to say that Hate Crime Laws are necessary because of the fairness of jury decisions because they are all caucasian is disturbing.

Also, I wasn't really defending white people; as you like to refer to them. I was almost siding with you that if you think there is something wrong with filling a jury with 12 white people then why not be sure to enrich the jury with a multi cultural spread? If that were done then surely the fix couldn't be in right?
BigGabber wrote:Phaedrus, just sit back and watch everyone dig their own graves. It's something you can laugh at before you go to bed:-)

BTW, I don't eat at that chicken joint. If I'm gonna drop $7 on a meal I'll spend the extra bucks and eat at Outback Steakhouse. As far as the whole thing in general for businesses, they just need to keep their opinions to themselves and then no one will know. They can just keep on making their cash. Some things are better left unsaid.

Good grief, I hope you aren't including me with your "them". I still laugh about when you wanted to arm all middle school children with taser guns.

Enjoy your Outback Big Spender...... errrr Big Gabber.

Oh yeah it looks like there is some kind of conservative connection to Outback Steakhouse. In fact, I just read that they were throwing money behind Rick Santorum. YEAH that's right, ladies favorite RICK SANTORUM.

DENVER -- Outback Steakhouse has agreed to pay $19 million to settle a major class lawsuit alleging sexual discrimination at its hundreds of corporate-owned restaurants nationwide, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission announced Tuesday.
According to the EEOC, Outback discriminated against thousands of female employees by not promoting them to higher-level profit-sharing management positions and denying them favorable job assignments that would help them be considered for top positions.
It is the largest EEOC discrimination settlement in state history, said Denver attorney Stephanie Struble who was a lead lawyer in the lawsuit.

According to the suit, filed in September 2006, managers allegedly made comments that disparaged women workers.
Tom Flanagan, a joint venture partner, allegedly said female managers had "let him down" and "lost focus" when they had children. He also allegedly said women managers had trouble "saying no" and that he wanted "cute girls" to work in the front as servers.
Ben Martinez, a managing partner, allegedly told another female employee she should be a teacher instead of working in the restaurant business.
The $19 million will be paid to female employees at Outback who have worked from 2002 to the present, and who have worked there for at least three years.
"We encourage women who believe they were discriminated against by Outback to come forward and complete the claims form to obtain monetary relief," Struble said.
Besides paying the $19 million, Outback must also institute an online application system and create an executive Human Resources position. According to the agreement, the restaurant chain must also hire an outside consultant who would make sure Outback is in compliance with the terms of the settlement and analyze data from the online application system to determine whether women are being provided equal opportunity for promotion.
"We are particularly pleased about Outback's commitment to a new process for employees to apply for promotion online and for hiring managers to make their selections from the online applications. We think this new process will help give women a fair opportunity to advance in the company," said Rita Byrnes Kittle, senior trial attorney for the EEOC.
OSI Restaurant Partners, LLC (OSI), the parent company of Outback Steakhouse, provided the following statement:
"Outback Steakhouse does not tolerate discrimination of any kind and is committed to equal opportunity for all employees. The Consent Decree reflects the policies, procedures and systems that were developed by Outback to provide all employees the opportunity to express interest in and be considered for promotions. The Company is pleased that the EEOC recognizes its electronic registry as an important tool to provide and track equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees.
It is important to note that the settlement includes no finding of fault on the part of Outback. The Company ultimately determined that settling the lawsuit with funds provided entirely by insurance was preferable to the cost and distraction of further litigation. In the current economic climate, the Company believes it is more important than ever to concentrate all of its financial and operational resources on serving its guests, supporting its employees, and driving its business."
Liz Smith, the recently-appointed CEO of OSI, stated, "I am very pleased the Company and the EEOC have resolved this legacy issue. There is no glass ceiling at OSI, and we do not tolerate discrimination in any form. I have a profound commitment to ensuring not only equal, but very compelling and rewarding employment opportunities for all individuals and I look forward to building on the processes already in place at Outback to ensure we live up to that standard every day."
Outback Steakhouse was founded in Tampa, Fla. in 1988. There are over 950 Outback Steakhouse restaurants throughout the world.
This settlement tops a $13 million age-discrimination settlement by Martin Marietta Corporation with the Colorado EEOC in 1996, which until Tuesday, was the largest ever for the state
I'm glad I don't eat at either of those places.

Mondo Man the reason I tire of arguing with you is because you are not really interested in what I have to say. You like to have your own little argument with yourself. Sure, you may nominally address me, but you first reinterpret what I say to fit your game. That's why the phrase, "are you saying". or similar, appears in so much of your writing. And you don't wait for an answer.

As for Hustler's smear, the essence of his post was that homosexuals need to be restricted because they undermine the health and morality of America. These arguments have been used against every minority in every country since the dawn of time. Maybe you don't recognize racism when it's right under your nose.
Last edited by Phaedrus on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stinky Pete wrote:I try to keep my kids away from gays so they don't catch it.

Can't blame you AIDS is a --censor-- and then you die.
Well OK then, this has to go in the record books for hijacking a thread.

If anyone cares the Health Care event was very nice and informative. Chris Stigall is a very engaging speaker. Dr Lashner was able to put the effects of Obamacare into layman's terms that even I could understand. Katy Abram "You have awoken a sleeping giant" was very motivational.
My biggest takeaway is that we need to resist setting up the state run health care exchange if we want to have any hope of stopping Obamacare. Corbett has taken the federal seed money, which stops in 2015 BTW, but luckily has not done anything with it yet. I have forms that can be mailed to him requesting that he not set up the exchange. If anyone is interested, PM me your E-mail address and I can send you the form. I have also contacted Barrar and asked that he sign a pledge not to vote in favor of the state health care exchange.

Let the hijacking continue.