If I were hoping to retire in the next couple years, I might think a little bit about that article. I don't know whether it is credible or not. But, if you're looking at the long term, just stay the course...
By eriknben10
Put your trust in God but keep your powder dry Pilgrim
I lost way more than that, but if you're in for the long term, the market will come back. I made back everything I lost, plus more. When someone tells you to stay the course, it doesn't mean your investments won't go down, possibly dramatically. If you try to time when to get out and get in, you'll most likely end up worse off than if you had just stayed. People are notoriously bad at knowing when to jump back in, and they miss the big rebound, and put their money back too late.
By eriknben10
Hey MMax,

Why Is George Soros Selling So Much Stock And Buying So Much Gold?

I been thinking about your post a bit this morning and about why anyone with extreem wealth would sell investments to turn it into gold.

One possible explanation could be this...

http://news.yahoo.com/health-care-laws- ... 30388.html

If you think about it they are unloading the wealth into a place where the government doesn't make a dime off of that portion of there wealth. There already so filthy rich they would never need to do anything with the gold except let it sit there. It is essentially a tax shelter.
By Phaedrus
Soros is playing the market, not hedging against some disastrous economic future. This is Soros 2.5 years ago as he doubled his position in gold as well as buying into a gold mining company

During the World Economic Forum in Davos in late January, Mr Soros said: "When interest rates are low we have conditions for asset bubbles to develop, and they are developing at the moment. The ultimate asset bubble is gold."

When the gold market peaks, and it will, Soros and other major holders will sell. The small fry investors who bought out of paranoia will be left with major losses.
By Phaedrus
The market report that MM's article relies on is here.
http://www.ici.org/research/stats/flows/flows_08_22_12

Note that while equities have a net outflow, the inflow to bond funds more than makes up for that. If we were talking imminent financial collapse, why would people invest in bond funds?

By the way, international equity funds have experienced net inflows particularly with emerging markets.
By eriknben10
Ya know my brother is a small time day trader, only a few million traded daily and he said the same thing...imagine that :lol: