By norton
Jason747 quote-Less of us who can do a certain task, the higher the pay for said task. And since our society places such a huge emphasis on sports, insane contracts like this exist.
----------------------
Jason, That is really the issue isn't it? Kinda like ancient Rome or Greece I suspect. -
By Phaedrus
Jason747 wrote:
norton wrote:++ Though I do watch an occasional baseball game I confess I am not a fanatic on the sport but it just seems ridiculous that any ball player in any sport is being paid not a million, not a few million but 120 million dollars to play a game. What do you think? :shock:

It does boggle the mind. But in the end it is supply and demand. 100 million people have the ability to be waiters, 10 million maybe able to train as a plumber, 100000 could be doctors, 1000 are talented enough to be NFL players, 20 maybe good enough to be elite major league pitchers.

Less of us who can do a certain task, the higher the pay for said task. And since our society places such a huge emphasis on sports, insane contracts like this exist.

I don't begrudge the workers their money. This is entertainment, same as movies or music. What bothers me is public financing of stadiums. If these sports are so lucrative, why are we paying for stadiums?
By Phaedrus
The gold standard.

1971 Orioles, 4 man rotation.
Jim Palmer: 20-9, 2.68 ERA
Mike Cuellar: 20-9, 3.08 ERA
Pat Dobson: 20-8, 2.90 ERA
Dave McNally: 21-5, 2.89 ERA
By paesano
In theory, Lee's addition to the rotation should make bullpen upgrades and the right-handed bat less critical. In theory, a rotation with Lee, Halladay, Oswalt and Cole Hamels should not be dipping into the bullpen too often. And a rotation with those four pitchers should not force the offense to score eight runs a game.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/ne ... b&c_id=mlb
By Phaedrus
I'm thinking this is a good place to mention that...

Hall of Famer Bob Feller dies at 92

CLEVELAND – Bob Feller, the Iowa farm boy whose powerful right arm earned him the nickname "Rapid Robert" and made him one of baseball's greatest pitchers during a Hall of Fame career with the Cleveland Indians, has died. He was 92.

Feller died at 9:15 p.m. on Wednesday night of acute leukemia at a hospice, said Bob DiBiasio, the Indians vice president of public relations.

Remarkably fit until late in life, Feller had suffered serious health setbacks in recent months. He was diagnosed with a form of leukemia in August, and while undergoing chemotherapy, he fainted and his heart briefly stopped. Eventually, he underwent surgery to have a pacemaker implanted.

In November, he was hospitalized with pneumonia and Feller was recently released into hospice care.

Even as his health deteriorated, Feller continued doing what he loved most — attending Indians games deep into last season.

"Nobody lives forever and I've had a blessed life," Feller said in September. "I'd like to stay on this side of the grass for as long as I can, though. I'd really like to see the Indians win a World Series."

Feller, in fact, was part of the rotation the last time the Indians won it all — in 1948.

Fiercely proud and patriotic, Feller was an American original. He won 266 games during 18 seasons — all with the Indians, who brought him up to the majors as a 17-year old. Feller's win total remains a Cleveland team record, one that seems almost untouchable in today's free-agent era.

Feller was part of a vaunted Indians' rotation in the 1940s and '50s with fellow Hall of Famers Bob Lemon and Early Wynn. He finished with 2,581 career strikeouts, led the American League in strikeouts seven times, pitched three no-hitters — including the only one on opening day — and recorded a jaw-dropping 12 one-hitters.

His numbers would no doubt have been even greater had his career not been interrupted by World War II.

The first pitcher to win 20 games before he was 21, Feller was enshrined in Cooperstown in 1962, his first year of eligibility.

The Indians retired his No. 19 jersey in 1957 and immortalized the greatest player in franchise history with a statue when they opened their downtown stadium in 1994. The sculpture is vintage Feller, captured forever in the middle of his patented windmill windup, rearing back to fire another pitch.