Looks like the Obama administration is prepared to take a slap at the courts ,congress and us with their plans for the F.C.C. to take a vote on Dec. 21 on internet regulations under the banner of net neutrality..Congress will be ajourned, court doors closed and the American people will giving their attention to the holidays . The courts and the congress have already rejected moves by the administration to regulate the internet.But that won't stand in their way.Call your Rep's and Sen's in Congress and tell them that their first order of business must be to pry the grubby little hands of the federal government off the internet. The arrogance of these guys in the white house never cease to amaze me. You do not want the federal government controling freedom of the press, the internet or any other type of free speech. Please don't take it lightly. Once they open the door no telling where it will all end. They mean business and so must we. Make that call,write that letter...
A vote against net neutrality is a vote in favor of monopoly control by a few corporations. These corporations will be able to restrict access to websites in the same way they now restrict cable content. If you want to have to pay for every web site you visit, then you stand with Boro Friend.

Net neutrality is about ensuring that all traffic on the internet is treated equally.
There are actually a couple of related things going on here. Net neutrality keeps service providers from blocking or crippling competitor's services. For example, Comcast offers a phone service for which they charge money. In their case, the extra bandwidth is for a service for which they are paid. Vonage also offers phone service over the 'net for which they charge money, but Comcast does not get a slice of that - they only get what customers pay for internet service, but they bear the burden of the extra traffic. Same situation with Verizon, SBC, and others. The thing is, they offer "unlimited" bandwidth (up to a point, then you get a nasty letter followed by termination of service) for fixed price, so why should they care what you use it for? It just grinds their gears that enterprising companies have found ways to monetize their services where they have not been as successful. They have two ways to try to wring more money out of their network: go back to customers and raise prices (not a good option in an increasingly competitive marketplace), or find a way to make their competitors' services less cost effective or usable than their own (they could, of course, just make their services better, but on a level playing field there is little chance of that). They would do this by throttling the bandwidth of their competitors' data streams coming into Comcast networks until the service becomes marginal. Now they can charge a "toll" to their competitors to relax the throttling. If the competitor refuses, the services become less attractive to Comcast customers (if they agree, then I have to pay more for the services because the tolls are passed along to me in the price of the service, so in the end I pay more either way). The problem with this is that my service provider, whom I pay for my service, gets to decide what traffic and services I can access, and they can go back and apply leverage against anyone whose services I consume, raising the prices of those services (even if they don't offer a competing service). It also allows them to pro-actively throttle traffic for services that compete with a service offering they intend to make in the future, so that their competitors essentially fund the development and marketing of Comcast's service. If the anti-NN legislation is passed, we will all have to pay more for most of the services we consume on the internet, and it will all go into the pockets of ISPs, who are already making out pretty well. This is sweetheart legislation at its worst.

When you combine this with the metered usage legislation, we are looking at a future in which internet access and services will cost a lot more money.

Another piece of legislation that is bouncing around the marble halls is one that would allow the government to create an internet blacklist - a registry of sites that all U.S. ISPs must block because they have been determined to be obscene, copyright-infringing, illegal, or in some other way harmful to the U.S.'s interests (like offshore gambling sites, for example). I think the danger of this legislation is pretty obvious. This is basically what France just did.
Stinky Pete wrote:Was this the thing you posted about them wanting to prevent copyright infringement or prevent stealing of intellectual property, or something like that? I don't see why that's bad. It promotes free market capitalism.

That was a different post and your interpretation of the President's remarks about there being ' too much information out there'. Copyright infringement is not what he meant at all. His remarks as far as I could tell insulted a graduating class of college students by talking to them like they where five years old. The guy is a real piece of work.

They know that they do not carry the authority alone to do what they are going to try to do. That is why they picked this time to see what they can get away with.. If the current congress was reelected I would hold no hope of stopping them.Not having seen the new congress in action only upgrades chances to a faint hope. There will be yet another court challenge but that takes time and money.
Last edited by Boro Friend on Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill would let feds block pirate websites worldwide!

Copyright enforcement as censorship!

The bill also contains provisions to block sites with domain names and TLDs that are maintained by overseas companies, which are immune to US laws. Under the legislation, US attorneys would be authorized to obtain court orders directing US-based internet service providers to stop resolving the IP addresses that allow customers to access the sites. That would have the effect of making the sites inaccessible to US-based web users who don't use some sort of proxy service.

Google " registry of sites that all U.S. ISPs must block"

Nick ----> 8)
Just to be clear, Nick is not talking about net neutrality. Nick is following on Breitak67's last paragraph. Bill S.3804 can restrict access to web sites whose primary business is copyright infringement and counterfeiting. I don't have a problem with stopping illegal behavior. People who are against this bill should first eliminate the Lanham Act that provides for copyright protection, since S.3804 is an enforcement extension of existing law.

I remember back in 1999 how the virtual cognoscenti were proclaiming the "new economy"; that the old rules no longer applied. The NASDAQ was going to surpass the DOW. That we had entered a new world without restriction. How convenient for people who like to pretend they are not stealing when then pirate music, books, movies, etc.. And some of these people may even be strong defenders of property rights - just not when it's something they can have for free with little chance of being caught.
Here is some other interesting stuff going on to drain your wallet faster for internet usage:

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/12/ ... ity-tiers/

Basically, mobile carriers are looking to do something similar to what the broadband folks are doing - charge you more for certain broadband-hungry services, such as Facebook (more bandwidth because there are a lot of photos?), Skype, and YouTube.