By Stinky Pete
So we're going entirely to CFL bulbs by 2012. No more incandescent. Problem is, when they break, you're not supposed to throw them out because the mercury is bad for the environment. You need to take them somewhere to be recycled. Here's my question. What percentage of the population is not just going to throw them in the trash? My guess would be about 10%.
By paesano
Home Depot has become the largest U.S. retailer to launch a general CFL recycling program. Almost 2,000 Home Depot locations will now accept any type of CFL for recycling without charge. Canada's Home Depot stores began a CFL recycling program in November 2007.

I think Ikea is doing the same....
By paesano
Earth 911 is probably the United States and Canada's largest online clearinghouse of recycling information. Visit their site and enter "CFL" and your ZIP code in the "Find a Recycling Center" field at the top of each page. Alternately, try "mercury" and "fluorescent bulbs." If there's something in your region, it will almost certainly be listed. Earth 911 is currently attempting to expand its coverage to Europe, the first step toward an international registry of recycling options.

http://earth911.com/
By norton
Stock up now on "real" light bulbs before they go on the black market. :)
By paesano
I commend you EITR! Always with good information and links to prove them! Thank You...
By gypsysoul
Mad Maxx wrote:In the United States, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimated that if all 270 million compact fluorescent lamps sold in 2007 were sent to landfill sites, that this would represent around 0.13 metric tons, or 0.1% of all U.S. emissions of mercury (around 104 metric tons that year)....Certainly not worth the 14 dollars saved on my electric bill, IMO.

I have a few here, Them also seem to take a few extra minutes to "warm up" to the proper brightness, I do like that they make dimmable lamps.

MM

Same here, I don't like them, don't like the time they take to brighten, don't like that they don't last 5 yrs like the package says, they have burnt out after a few months, after paying what I paid for them. Don't see a difference in elec. bill, and yes I've thrown mine in the trash, didn't know I was supposed to take them somewhere.
By Jake
We have a few CFL bulbs. Pro, they are less then a buck and save elec. Con, they do not give off enought lite to read
By astontibs
I have been slowly converting over to CFL bulbs. I appreciate that they last longer and use less electricity, but I do not agree that they should outlaw the incandescents. We should let the free market decide when they are no longer needed.