By Phaedrus
eriknben10 wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:When we work to create a culture that does not honor guns and violence, we will be sending a resonating message. That is the point of laws, not the mechanics. The 2nd Amendment should be repealed.

Good luck with that theory. My guess it would work as well as making Heroin illegal. :roll:

I think the culture of violence is what sets us apart from other countries.

Did you mean make heroin legal? That would actually make some sense if it were available in a very controlled way.
By eriknben10
You don't know many folks from overseas do you? The 2nd amendment is here to stay so you might want to think about how to fix the problem instead of parroting the same thing every time this happens.
By Boro Friend
Phaedrus wrote:When we work to create a culture that does not honor guns and violence, we will be sending a resonating message. That is the point of laws, not the mechanics. The 2nd Amendment should be repealed.

Well ,that's not going to happen. Americans have had guns in their homes for over 200 years. It is not the guns.
By Boro Friend
Stinky Pete wrote:I'm a constitutional originalist. Keep the second amendment, and apply it to the types of guns that the founders had at that time.

lol
By Phaedrus
Boro Friend wrote:

Well ,that's not going to happen. Americans have had guns in their homes for over 200 years. It is not the guns.

There are plenty of countries where people have guns without guns being embedded in their Constitutions. There is no reason to assume that removing a Constitutional protection will mean no guns. The fact that an amendment can be rescinded is proof that the actual power is in the voting booth.

I don't propose removing all guns. I propose removing the fetishizing of guns. I propose that responsible gun owners shed the maniacs on the right and the industry controlled NRA and come together to develop sensible gun laws in an atmosphere of responsibility. But I am tired of this constant belief that the right to any gun and all guns is enshrined in all that is sacred. I believe that reasonable people will not be reasonable until they are stripped of the false cloak of a Constitutional right that was never meant to shelter maniacs.