Right. She could roll it into an IRA or something, but you can't mix it with your money. (I'm pretty sure)

There are really good people at Vanguard who can help, and they will do a lot of the work for you.
By Phaedrus
JW wrote: Yes I did, then I let the company who holds our 401k manage my account. Next yr my wife and I will look into merging our 401k's.

How much are the extra fees? It's worked out for you so far, but I could never do that. I was out of the market before the crashes of 2000 and 2008. I don't think management would have gotten me out in time.
By JW
Phaedrus wrote:
JW wrote: Yes I did, then I let the company who holds our 401k manage my account. Next yr my wife and I will look into merging our 401k's.

How much are the extra fees? It's worked out for you so far, but I could never do that. I was out of the market before the crashes of 2000 and 2008. I don't think management would have gotten me out in time.

I only pay a small fee for them to maximize my returns to meet my expected retirement.
By JW
Stinky Pete wrote:Right. She could roll it into an IRA or something, but you can't mix it with your money. (I'm pretty sure)

There are really good people at Vanguard who can help, and they will do a lot of the work for you.

Any idea how that works? I'm guessing they take taxes before you roll it in?
By Phaedrus
JW wrote:
Stinky Pete wrote:That's all hooey by the way.

What them maximizing my return? They know more then I do.

The phrase "maximizing my return to meet my expected retirement" sounds strange. Is it contractual, such as you set a retirement income goal and they guarantee it?