By sandbagger2
This gentleman is from West Goshen, I believe.

Tom Casey
9 hrs

There was a lot of interest in the email that I read regarding Homeland Security and pipelines. I am sharing the entire exchange with you.

Good morning,

I am looking for the statute/law about pipelines. Specifically, any law that denies the requests of land owners the right to know where a pipeline is located on their property. I have tried numerous times to get this information from Sunoco Pipeline, L.P./Sunoco Logistics, L.P. here in Pennsylvania. They claim that because of homeland security they cannot give this information to me or anyone else that requests it. I have contacted PHMSA, PA Department of Homeland Security, PA Public Utility Commission, and TSA agents about this and no one seems to know this information. I have also tried to get this information using the 811 system. All other utilities in the requested zone have complied with my request, except for Sunoco. They will not return my calls nor give the information through the 811 system. Their response from this request was that the lines are marked. However, my request specifically asks for the location and number of pipes on my property. The reason for this is because of the original easement signed in 1932 and a possible discrepancy with their future plans.

I was told to send an email to Jack Fox at this address. Please contact me at your earliest convenience about this matter.

Sincerely,
Tom Casey

Fox, Jack <@tsa.dhs.gov> 12/4/14

Tom,
It was good talking with you today. As I stated to you, I am head of the Pipeline Security program here at TSA. We at TSA are the lead federal agency for Pipeline Security. As stated during our call, I am not aware of any regulation in Homeland Security that would prohibit a company from sharing information pertaining to their pipeline to a property owner that requests the information.
We recommend to companies that they share information with property owners in the interest of safety. Unless I am missing something, I would think the company would want you to know the location of any pipeline on your property. If you could send me the name and contact information of individuals that are refusing to supply the data to you, I will happily reach out to see what regulation they know of that prohibits the sharing of this information. As I stated, I am not aware of anything that prohibits sharing this information with you.
Regards,
Jack Fox
Phaedrus liked this
By sandbagger2
Pols, Middletown residents focus on pipeline
By Leslie Krowchenko, Times Correspondent
POSTED: 07/23/17, 8:51 PM EDT | UPDATED: 15 SECS AGO 1 COMMENT

Pipeline for Sunoco Logistics’ Mariner East 2 pipeline is ready to go into the ground in East Goshen, Chester County. Citizens and elected representatives are growing more and more concerned with incidents that have taken place during construction.
Pipeline for Sunoco Logistics’ Mariner East 2 pipeline is ready to go into the ground in East Goshen, Chester County. Citizens and elected representatives are growing more and more concerned with incidents that have taken place during construction. BILL RETTEW JR. — DIGITAL FIRST MEDIA

MIDDLETOWN >> Similar to the Friday before each council meeting, the township posted Monday night’s agenda on its website and sent a link to residents registered for its email alert system.

Many who attend the session, however, may be more interested in comments from the public than a conditional use application for Ponds Edge or proposed amendment for the mixed use district.

Last week’s leak of 1,500 gallons of bentonite into an unnamed tributary of Chester Creek in connection with the installation of Sunoco/Energy Transfer Partners’ Mariner East 2 pipeline has reignited concerns about the safety of the operation. Coupled with recent incidents in Brookhaven, Uwchlan and West Whiteland, it has prompted residents to appeal to local and state government and legislators in Delaware and Chester counties to call for the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) to halt construction of the project.

“The pipeline is a risk to public safety,” said Eric Friedman, spokesperson for the Middletown Coalition for Community Safety. “The potential risks to water supplies were predicted in the documents Sunoco filed in its DEP applications.”

Spanning Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio, Mariner East 2 is a 350-mile system that would bring as much as 350,000 barrels a day of natural gas liquids such as propane, ethane and butane to the Marcus Hook Industrial Complex. In addition to the township incident, installation has released approximately 580 gallons of the substance, a non-toxic lubricant used in horizontal direction drilling, into Chester Creek in Brookhaven, damaged water supplies in the two Chester County townships and pushed citizens to band together in community groups, including Protect Penn Delco, Uwchlan Safety Coalition and the recently formed Upper Uwchlan Residents for Safety. Concerns have also prompted the members of the Sisters of St. Francis, who serve Neumann University in Aston, to speak at township meetings and join in Saturday’s community day of resistance at Sleighton Park.

“Upper Uwchlan Residents for Safety got some press time,” wrote a member on the group’s Facebook page following the event. “We are all connected! Water is Life.”

Legislators have reached across the proverbial aisle in their calls for action. State Sen. Andy Dinniman, D-19, and representatives Carolyn Comitta, D-156, Leanne Krueger-Braneky, D-161, and Chris Quinn, R-168, asked for an immediate moratorium until DEP can ensure proper safeguards are in place to protect the safety and property of local residents.

Killion and Quinn partnered on a request to DEP Secretary Patrick McDonnell for the department to publish a list of all notices of violation on its website. The department has to date issued four notices, including one in connection with the spill in Brookhaven, and announced a detailed list of incidents will be updated weekly.

Killion, whose district includes portions of both counties, is taking the seven-day updates a step farther, asking top officials involved with the project to attend regular weekly briefings for local municipal representatives to increase accountability and exchange critical information. He has suggested the meetings include DEP staffers, emergency responders, Sunoco and other regulators involved in oversight, such as the Public Utility Commission and federal agencies, as deemed necessary.

“In the many conversations I have had with local elected officials, one common frustration expressed is the need for additional and more frequent communication from all those involved,” he said. “There are many regulatory and public safety agencies involved in monitoring the project and if there are adverse impacts, we expect those responsible to address them.”

While the need for communication is critical, the desire for a glass of water from the tap on a 90-plus degree day is for many an even more pressing issue. Last month’s damage to underground water supplies feeding aquifers in West Whiteland was so severe Sunoco was forced to supply bottled water to nearly a dozen residences. At least one aquifer was impacted last week in Delaware County, potentially affecting a private well.

As the state does not regulate their construction nor require owners to register them, Quinn and Comitta are each working on private well bills to give the department the proper regulatory authority to protect them and help prevent similar situations from occurring. Krueger-Braneky has asked DEP to conduct independent water testing in all potentially impacted private wells, as well as Chester Creek, to provide residents with confirmation about water safety.

Quinn, a former member of township council, noted he is ready “to roll up his sleeves and needs McDonnell and his department to do the same.”

“There are quite a few private wells in the 168th,” he said. “The fact DEP holds no authority over them is a hole in the process and we need to insure that the department is equipped to be involved in every aspect.”

Adding “the process is the issue,” Quinn said he would be just as adamant if the subject was a water main instead of 16- and 20-inch pipelines with the capacity to transport up to 700,000 gallons of product a day.

“There is a disconnect,” he said. “I would be just as upset if we were talking about a water main.”

Comitta said she will likely co-sponsor Quinn’s bill and he is one of 25 bi-partisan representatives who has co-sponsored her bill to form a pipeline safety and communication board. Because many residents are unaware of the impact of the work, the board would provide information on construction, operation and maintenance, related traffic congestion, noise, environmental impacts, health and safety issues and if necessary, evacuation plans in case of an emergency.

Conveying one’s concern about the pipeline requires action, said Comitta, whether talking with neighbors, speaking at municipal meetings or contacting one’s legislator.

“Some other ways to help support pipeline safety are for residents to stay informed and perhaps form local networks,” she added. “These groups can be most effective by working together with advocacy groups in other communities along the pipeline.”

Although groups may at times feel they are voices crying in the wilderness, their message is apparently being received. The governor’s office issued a press release last week noting he is aware of incidents and has asked DEP to use every tool appropriate to actively investigate them.

“I have heard concerns directly from in-person meetings with local legislators along with residents who have written and called my office,” he said. “I have directed DEP to do what they are legally able and feel is appropriate to ensure the operator is held accountable to addressing these incidents and taking additional steps to prevent similar incidents from occurring.”
By sandbagger2
Dinniman Introduces Legislative Package on Pipelines
on JULY 24, 2017

WEST CHESTER (June 24, 2017) – State Senator Andy Dinniman has introduced a package of legislation designed to protect local communities, natural resources, and individual property rights in the crosshairs of the ever-growing number of pipelines planned in Chester County and Pennsylvania.

“While southeastern Pennsylvania and Chester County may not be home to actual drilling operations, our neighborhoods, communities, and natural resources are significantly impacted by the growing network of pipelines,” Dinniman said.

The bills are as follows:

• Senate Bill 605, introduced by Senator Dinniman and Senator John C. Rafferty, Jr., calls for establishing an impact fee that pipeline companies would pay to the municipalities and counties bisected by their pipelines. Under the legislation, the amount of the impact fee would be based on the acreage of linear feet plus right-of-way width of a pipeline using the county average land value in an affected area. Fifty percent of the impact fee would go to the county that is home to the respective pipeline. Forty percent would go to the municipality that is home to the pipeline. The remaining 10 percent would go to Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission for administration and enforcement of the law. The bill is currently in the Senate Environmental Resources and Energy Committee.

• Senate Bill 574 would allow local municipalities and school districts to tax natural gas pipelines. The bill would amend Title 53 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes to allow local governments and school districts to impose a real estate tax on natural gas and hazardous liquid pipelines. Currently, they are exempt from local taxation. Twenty other states allow for the local taxation of natural gas pipelines and this bill is very similar to existing laws in neighboring states like New Jersey, Ohio and West Virginia. This bill is currently before the Senate Finance Committee.

• Senate Bill 835 calls for holding pipeline land agents accountable by defining their role and requiring registration with the Pennsylvania Real Estate Commission. In addition, the bill calls for allowing public access to a listing of registered agents, requiring criminal history background checks, and providing the commission with the authority to revoke or suspend them for a number of reasons such as fraud or misrepresentation. Currently, land agents in Pennsylvania operate with no oversight whatsoever. The bill is in the process of being referred to committee.

“It’s high time for pipeline companies to support the necessary emergency response preparations, environmental protection, and reclamation measures, and other local efforts directly related to their operations,” Dinniman, who serves on the Senate Environmental Resources and Energy Committee, said. “And it’s only right for pipelines companies to pay a real estate tax just like property owners, and it’s only right for their land agents to be held accountable to ethical standards.”

Dinniman is also currently drafting legislation that would require automatic shutoff valves on natural gas pipelines in Pennsylvania.

In addition, Dinniman is the first co-sponsor of Senator Rafferty’s Senate Bill 604, which calls for centralizing pipeline safety inspection within PennDOT, rather than the PUC.

“While the Legislature has not been responsive to the needs of the Southeast regarding pipeline issues and it’s been extremely difficult to get these bills out of committee in the past, I remain undeterred and will continue to fight for our region in putting the interest of my constituents before special interests,” Dinniman said.
By Wrench97
By the time it gets voted on passed and enacted Sun will be finished with the pipe line installation ............................
By Phaedrus
Wrench97 wrote:By the time it gets voted on passed and enacted Sun will be finished with the pipe line installation ............................

This line would probably be grandfathered on some of the regulations, but the local taxing authorization would probably still apply.