By sandbagger2
Living the nightmare of having my property seized for pipeline [opinion]
KIM KANN | Special to LNP Jul 18, 2017 (117)

Next week, I likely face having my land seized by pipeline builder Williams Cos. using the power of eminent domain.

Like most Americans, I believed eminent domain was to be used sparingly, for projects for which there was a compelling need and great public benefit. The Atlantic Sunrise pipeline is not that kind of project.

It is about cashing in on a stranded asset, gigantic corporate profit and the unwillingness to use an existing right of way because seizing new property from American citizens is easier.

I have written before about why I oppose this project. It is being built to export natural gas. Pipeline feasibility expert Dennis Witmer documented the absence of domestic demand in the video “A Perspective on Natural Gas Markets.” Natural gas is not as positive as slick commercials say, but 86 times worse for atmospheric warming than coal or oil.

We don’t need new natural gas electricity generation because existing renewable energy technology can meet 80 percent of our electricity demand by 2050, according to the website phys.org. And jobs in solar energy surpass all fossil fuel electrical generation jobs combined, according to data journalist Niall McCarthy, writing for Forbes.

A 42-inch, 1580-pounds-per-square-inch Atlantic Sunrise pipeline is vastly more dangerous than anything in Lancaster County.

We are tragically aware of the recent fatal accident in Millersville involving a much smaller pipeline. If you don’t understand the danger of a massive pipeline explosion, Google Sissonville, West Virginia; Appomattox, Virginia; San Bruno, California; or Salem Township in Westmoreland County. Look for video; the visuals are important.

Currently Conestoga’s risk of this kind of catastrophe is zero.

The gas in the pipeline proposed for our community will not be odorized. We get no warning. For safety, inspectors will fly the route looking for dead vegetation. I wonder about October through March when everything is already dead.

My land sits at the convergence of two valleys. Gas settles into valleys before it explodes and in the event of a catastrophic accident anyone, anywhere on my property, and likely within a half-mile, could be incinerated.

What have I done to defend my rights as a property owner? I have studied and met with countless lawyers and experts.

I hosted a meeting with Republican state Rep. Brett Miller, of East Hempfield Township, in my home. After our meeting, he and Republican state Rep. Bryan Cutler, of Peach Bottom, co-sponsored a bill that would have made it easier for legislative committees to kill environmental regulations, which would have played to the favor of pipeline builders. And Republican state Sen. Scott Martin is considering legislation that would seriously discourage pipeline and other protests.

I was a candidate in a local home rule election in an effort to give citizens a more direct say in local decision-making. I have written, educated, organized events, supported candidates and campaigned. I testified in front of the U.S. House Energy and Commerce Committee.

I have done all I know to do. I am exhausted.

I have been offered money, at agricultural value, for the right of way Williams will seize. It will not cover any loss of property value, not to mention legal fees. It doesn’t take into account that half the property can only be accessed by crossing the right of way Williams would control. I will be forced to pay taxes on land that is no longer mine. Who would want to buy my property in the future?

I ask you to imagine what this feels like. I am furious that our government is structured to work against citizens it should protect; frustrated because our laws have been hijacked and distorted; and fearful for what may happen should the pipeline fail.

I am, above all, determined. I will not sign an easement offer. I will not agree to have my asset taken and used to fund executive salaries and shareholder dividends. My land will have to be seized from me.

If this kind of assault on rightful landowners goes unchallenged, we are agreeing to surrender the right to own property. I won’t do that.

Pennsylvania faces the possibility of 30,000 miles of new pipelines in the next 30 years, according to a report by NPR’s StateImpact Pennsylvania. Lancaster County lies directly in the path between extraction and export.

Please do not make the mistake of thinking this won’t happen to you. Many are going to face this with the next pipeline proposal, and the next, and the next.

One thing I can do is take a stand, and send the clear message that this is unacceptable.

Kim Kann, a schoolteacher and business owner, is a resident of Conestoga Township.
By sandbagger2
Delco’s Middletown fires Sunoco contractor because of conflict of interest
JULY 27, 2017 | 2:34 PM
BY JON HURDLE

A marker for Sunoco's Mariner East 1 natural gas liquids pipeline near a home in Cumberland County. Residents of Middletown, Delaware County are concerned about the safety of the Mariner East 2, which is under construction.
Delaware County’s Middletown Township fired a contractor that was doing a risk analysis of the Mariner East 2 pipeline because the company was also working for the pipeline’s builder, Sunoco.

The township issued a statement on Wednesday saying it became aware that the contractor, DNV-GL, had a conflict of interest because of its relationship with Sunoco Pipeline, and terminated the contract immediately.

“When the township was made aware of the possible conflicts, we immediately asked for a full explanation from DNV-GL about the nature of their business relationship with Sunoco,” the statement said. “As a result of that inquiry, Middletown Township and DNV-GL have agreed to terminate their contract effective immediately.”

The statement said township officials were unaware of DNV’s relationship with Sunoco when they engaged it to do the risk analysis. StateImpact reported on the conflict of interest last week.

Norway-based DNV helped Sunoco defend itself last year against federal charges that it used unqualified welders on a Texas pipeline.

The township hired DNV for the analysis after a citizens’ group, the Middletown Coalition for Community Safety, engaged another company for a separate analysis that was published in March.

The township, which agreed last year to allow Sunoco to build the cross-state pipeline on four parcels of public land, has been under pressure from residents who say the natural gas liquids pipeline poses a grave risk to public safety.

The township said it has recently appointed an emergency management coordinator and plans soon to announce an agreement on emergency management with county authorities.

“The safety of our residents has been and remains the top priority of the township and this council,” the statement said. “Comprehensive and credibly based emergency planning greatly aids us toward that end in the event of a pipeline-related incident.”
By Phaedrus
Kim Kann's comment about natural gas being 88 times greater a contributor to atmospheric heat than coal or oil doesn't sound right to me.

The reason odorization isn't done to deeply buried pipelines is because soil will usually strip the smell before it gets to the surface. It is better to traverse the line by air looking for dead vegetation, particularly where there are no people around to smell gas.
By sandbagger2
Phaedrus wrote:Kim Kann's comment about natural gas being 88 times greater a contributor to atmospheric heat than coal or oil doesn't sound right to me.

The reason odorization isn't done to deeply buried pipelines is because soil will usually strip the smell before it gets to the surface. It is better to traverse the line by air looking for dead vegetation, particularly where there are no people around to smell gas.

They're don't want the odorant in the product because they're shipping it overseas for plastics manufacturing and can't have the products emitting the odor. As far as visual view from air, I have to wonder how that's accomplished in the fall/winter when most vegetation is dead.
By Phaedrus
I have a friend who does geological mapping from the air. He can chart soil types. I'll ask him about it, but it may take a while because he lives off the grid and incommunicato for parts of the year.

It may be they want pure gas, but it's also true that the odorant won't be effective.
sandbagger2 liked this
By eriknben10
I've heard repeatedly how this fuel is all going over seas. Does anyone know how many gallons you can get on one ship? Seems like the Delaware is going to be one busy shipping channel eventually. One line 450,000 barrels (18,900,000 gallons) per day of propane, ethane, butane, and other liquefied hydrocarbons and a second proposed pipeline, if constructed, could carry an additional 250,000 barrels (10,500,000 gallons) per day of these same materials. To keep things moving......

"You're gonna need a bigger boat" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNG_carrier
By sandbagger2
eriknben10 wrote:I've heard repeatedly how this fuel is all going over seas. Does anyone know how many gallons you can get on one ship? Seems like the Delaware is going to be one busy shipping channel eventually. One line 450,000 barrels (18,900,000 gallons) per day of propane, ethane, butane, and other liquefied hydrocarbons and a second proposed pipeline, if constructed, could carry an additional 250,000 barrels (10,500,000 gallons) per day of these same materials. To keep things moving......

"You're gonna need a bigger boat" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNG_carrier

Saw this article today. Interesting.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/07/ ... s-are.aspx