By eriknben10
Artificial life isn't health care. The greed of the hospitals is out of control. They were given a license to rape John-Q-Public by the government.
By Stinky Pete
That's a different argument. I know people well who ran up hundreds of thousands of dollars in hospital bills, and just walked away because they had no money and no insurance.

Still, Obamacare doesn't work because these same people didn't qualify for subsidies. Apparently, you have to have something like $16k in income to get a healthcare subsidy. If you have no income, you pay full price.
By eriknben10
Forcing people to purchase anything is down right theft of resources. Obamacare was just that and it gave the hospitals and insurance industries gobs of money they didn't earn by stealing it from people that didn't have any money to begin with. All for a little card they couldn't use. Those folks will now have a choice again what they do with their money. I think it was somewhere north of 6 million people paid the fine to the tune of $$$$$$$billions funneled thru government. That money will be put back into the other sectors of the economy once again.
By eriknben10
The Congressional Budget Office has estimated that about two-thirds of the people paying the individual mandate fines will have incomes below 400% of the poverty level.

A household is eligible for Medicaid if its income is 138 percent of the poverty level. The Affordable Care Act provides insurance subsidies for households between 138 percent and 400 percent of the poverty level.
By Phaedrus
Stinky Pete wrote:That's a different argument. I know people well who ran up hundreds of thousands of dollars in hospital bills, and just walked away because they had no money and no insurance.

Still, Obamacare doesn't work because these same people didn't qualify for subsidies. Apparently, you have to have something like $16k in income to get a healthcare subsidy. If you have no income, you pay full price.

If you have no income, you are eligible for Medicaid.
By Stinky Pete
I don't know how/when that works. The person I was talking to was on her father's insurance. She was suffering seizures and had to quit her job. Then, she aged off her father's plan. She went to Obamacare and bought insurance for $450 a month.
By Phaedrus
eriknben10 wrote:Forcing people to purchase anything is down right theft of resources.

I agree that the mandate was wrong to force anyone to buy a private product. I was surprised that Roberts decided to skirt that issue by calling it a tax.

I understand that you consider all taxes to be theft as well, but using the tax system to implement universal healthcare is still the way to go.
By eriknben10
Universal healthcare is easy. Universal artificial life, not so easy.
By Phaedrus
Stinky Pete wrote:I don't know how/when that works. The person I was talking to was on her father's insurance. She was suffering seizures and had to quit her job. Then, she aged off her father's plan. She went to Obamacare and bought insurance for $450 a month.

Is she living with her parents?