User avatar
By Ryan
#491372
breitak67 wrote:@Ryan: Does your belief in divine providence include predestination? In other words, do you believe that Americans should not have to try hard because God has already foreordained our success?

If you can't accept the viewpoint expressed by others in the thread, can you at least arrive at a compatible conclusion: that through indolence and complacency we can lose what we have built and that we need to get our collective act together and start trying harder in order to compete successfully in the global economy of the future?


Predestination? I don't believe everything is scripted such that we are living in some sort of prerecorded universe. God has given us free will, and we still must resist the forces of evil. I simply think that God will occasionally put his finger on the scale for the good of mankind and to combat the forces of evil. I don't believe America is exceptional only because of divine intervention.

Who said I can't "accept" the viewpoint of others? What viewpoint? "others" are unwilling to state their viewpoint. Of course it's obvious to me, and apparently you too, what their viewpoint is.
User avatar
By Ryan
#491373
Ryan wrote:
breitak67 wrote:@Ryan: Does your belief in divine providence include predestination? In other words, do you believe that Americans should not have to try hard because God has already foreordained our success?

If you can't accept the viewpoint expressed by others in the thread, can you at least arrive at a compatible conclusion: that through indolence and complacency we can lose what we have built and that we need to get our collective act together and start trying harder in order to compete successfully in the global economy of the future?


Predestination? I don't believe everything is scripted such that we are living in some sort of prerecorded universe. God has given us free will, and we still must resist the forces of evil. I simply think that God will occasionally put his finger on the scale for the good of mankind and to combat the forces of evil. I don't believe America is exceptional only because of divine intervention.

Who said I can't "accept" the viewpoint of others? What viewpoint? "others" are unwilling to state their viewpoint. Of course it's obvious to me, and apparently you too, what their viewpoint is.

Wait, you guys are mixing two different conversations now. There was a discussion about the backfire effect. Then we were talking about the comedian's comment and American exceptionalism and SP threw in some snarky comment about Divine Providence.

Regarding American exceptionalism, "others" are unwilling to state their viewpoint. Now you are throwing in competing in the global economy? Have you been paying attention to the Trump administration's global economic agenda? We ARE getting our act together and improving our ability to compete in a global economy every day.
User avatar
By Ryan
#491374
Phaedrus wrote:
eriknben10 wrote:The main thing that makes America exceptional is the constitution that has endured for over 200 years. Considering the average lifespan of a constitution in the the rest of the world is only 17 years, I'd say that is something that clearly demonstrates exceptionalism. Having said that, I believe having the power to amend it has preserved it's longevity.


I agree that the Constitution is at the root of our historical exceptionalism and that we have set the example for the rest of the world to follow. I don't know if 17 years is meaningful because most westernized industrial countries have had constitutions that have lasted much longer now and the citizens of those countries no longer need to look up to us, such as the comedian from Australia whose country adopted a Constitution in 1900.

American legal precedence continues to be used in the courts of many other countries. The entire body of our legal history continues to be an incredibly valuable resource and inspiration to the world.

I think most countries include the power to amend as part of their constitutions, so that is not unique to us.

Finally, with respect to Ryan, the original use of the term exceptional was certainly positive, but leaned more to being another word for unique, rather than superior. It was the neo-conservatives who started throwing it around as a superlative and insisting, like Ryan, that everyone adopt their point of view or leave. Frankly, people like Ryan and his hero Trump, are an embarrassment to the nation that lowers our exceptionalism in the eyes of the world.


unusually good; outstanding.
"a pepper offering exceptional flavor and juiciness"
synonyms: outstanding, extraordinary, remarkable, special, excellent, phenomenal, prodigious;

Ok, so you are going to parse dictionary terms, very unexceptional of you. How on earth do you know which definition of exceptional was intended by it's "original use"?

You are a blowhard. You are talking our of both sides of your mouth. You say that when I refer to exceptionalism, my reference is to superiority, and then you mock and chastise me for my views. Yet your explanations of the value of our constitution and it's precedence for the reset of the world, and the incredible value of our legal system to the world seem to describe the SUPERIORITY/exceptionalism of America in these two areas! Then you insult the President and call him an embarrassment in the eyes of the world, as if you speak for everyone.

Like so many leftists, you are just a pompous know-it-all.
User avatar
By Phaedrus
#491376
I don't think your reading comprehension is very good. You don't seem to be able to follow the thread of a discussion over multiple posts. And you still haven't answered my question.
User avatar
By eriknben10
#491380
"Small samples do not allow us to describe the relative risks to those over 50, except to emphasize that even these hardy seniors are not immortal. Sweden’s constitution lasted 165 years, only to be replaced in 1974."

https://www.law.uchicago.edu/news/lifes ... stitutions
User avatar
By Phaedrus
#491381
Sweden did not have a wholesale replacement of the Laws. They basically amended to strip the King of his powers. Sweden does not actually have a "Constitution"

And there is this, which for the most part supports the idea that modern westernized countries have stable constitutions and/or continuity.

http://comparativeconstitutionsproject. ... -rankings/
User avatar
By norton
#491382
Bottom line is simply that the people/citizens must have an enforceable document to protect THEM FROM the overreach and over -powering of an increasingly growing and unscrupulous government. Our Founding Fathers understood this all too well. They observed European History.
User avatar
By eriknben10
#491384
Phaedrus wrote:Sweden did not have a wholesale replacement of the Laws. They basically amended to strip the King of his powers. Sweden does not actually have a "Constitution"

And there is this, which for the most part supports the idea that modern westernized countries have stable constitutions and/or continuity.

http://comparativeconstitutionsproject. ... -rankings/


You should let them know that! LOL

https://socialsciences.exeter.ac.uk/med ... nglish.pdf
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 10