By Phaedrus
Stinky Pete wrote:
Ryan wrote: It's pretty obvious to most Americans.

That doesn't make it true. I could give you a list of fictional US history that most Americans believe.

He is just intellectually lazy. He uses terms in his argument that he is incapable of defining or defending. That is what makes FOX News so comforting a source of information for him. It's the repetition. The hypnotic, metronomic, onslaught that gives him a sense of certainty and reduces the need to question.
By Ryan
Why does it matter what I think? What now you are going to call me names and insult my intelligence. Why? Do you understand the concept of American exceptionalism? I pointed out that the comic stated "your constitution is nothing special" "everybody's got one". Then I implied that you might agree with him.

You seem to object, so tell us why the constitution is not special. Tell us how it is really no different than others. Why is it not exceptional?

Just tell us what you think about America. Go ahead, put it out there. Tell us why we are not exceptional. Let us all here what you think of America. What's the matter?
By Ryan
Phaedrus wrote:Sorry sweetheart, but I asked you first.
You were the first to start with the insults, I'll give you that.

So you won't tell us why you think American is not exceptional, and the reason is because you asked first. And now you saying that you consider my comments to be insulting.

So is America exceptional or is it not? It appears that you are insulted that I insinuated that you do not think America is exceptional. So which is it? Just say it...
By eriknben10
The main thing that makes America exceptional is the constitution that has endured for over 200 years. Considering the average lifespan of a constitution in the the rest of the world is only 17 years, I'd say that is something that clearly demonstrates exceptionalism. Having said that, I believe having the power to amend it has preserved it's longevity.
By breitak67
@Ryan: Does your belief in divine providence include predestination? In other words, do you believe that Americans should not have to try hard because God has already foreordained our success?

If you can't accept the viewpoint expressed by others in the thread, can you at least arrive at a compatible conclusion: that through indolence and complacency we can lose what we have built and that we need to get our collective act together and start trying harder in order to compete successfully in the global economy of the future?
By Phaedrus
Ryan wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:Sorry sweetheart, but I asked you first.
You were the first to start with the insults, I'll give you that.

So you won't tell us why you think American is not exceptional, and the reason is because you asked first. And now you saying that you consider my comments to be insulting.

So is America exceptional or is it not? It appears that you are insulted that I insinuated that you do not think America is exceptional. So which is it? Just say it...

No, what is insulting is saying that my words are puke and that you would have to stick your head up your ass to see my point of view. You so casually insult people that you aren't even aware when you do it. You're kind of a jerk really.

I also asked you politely what you meant by exceptionalism, as you had initiated use of the term. Sure I find America to be exceptional, but maybe not the way you do. What surprised me is how much you have dodged my question, which was a simple request for clarification.
By Phaedrus
eriknben10 wrote:The main thing that makes America exceptional is the constitution that has endured for over 200 years. Considering the average lifespan of a constitution in the the rest of the world is only 17 years, I'd say that is something that clearly demonstrates exceptionalism. Having said that, I believe having the power to amend it has preserved it's longevity.

I agree that the Constitution is at the root of our historical exceptionalism and that we have set the example for the rest of the world to follow. I don't know if 17 years is meaningful because most westernized industrial countries have had constitutions that have lasted much longer now and the citizens of those countries no longer need to look up to us, such as the comedian from Australia whose country adopted a Constitution in 1900.

American legal precedence continues to be used in the courts of many other countries. The entire body of our legal history continues to be an incredibly valuable resource and inspiration to the world.

I think most countries include the power to amend as part of their constitutions, so that is not unique to us.

Finally, with respect to Ryan, the original use of the term exceptional was certainly positive, but leaned more to being another word for unique, rather than superior. It was the neo-conservatives who started throwing it around as a superlative and insisting, like Ryan, that everyone adopt their point of view or leave. Frankly, people like Ryan and his hero Trump, are an embarrassment to the nation that lowers our exceptionalism in the eyes of the world.