I guess, as an old fellow, I could have remembered incorrectly, but I could swear there was a mention of a beach house in Sea Isle worth a million dollars around the same time as the Bugatti Veyron conversation.
I guess this is the price of having the most active board - archiving leaves us with a relatively short searchable history. Lansdowne goes back to their last post in 2012.
breitak67 wrote:I guess, as an old fellow, I could have remembered incorrectly, but I could swear there was a mention of a beach house in Sea Isle worth a million dollars around the same time as the Bugatti Veyron conversation.

Yes that was your mistake. No big deal, cars or houses been much the same for all my life buy, use, sell, make profit.
Stinky Pete wrote:Uh oh. Walking it back...

Who is "Walking it back..."?

From what I read more than 80% of the so-called victims didn't have flood insurance.
I heard a little about the water levels of the lakes but never thought too much about it. I've always had the belief that mans intervention with the construction of power plants and dams etc. has had huge implications on our natural waterways and the flows from north to south. Not to mention the water temperature coming out of the power plants is warmer than the water going in. They simply don't have enough data to properly manage the water levels. Hence you get stories on what averages should be or have been, recorded history dictates their thinking, rather than what mother nature feels her needs and wants are for any particular year.
Anywho, I had a chat back in the spring with a friend who teaches Science in Grosse Ile Township, Michigan. His family owns a place up around Lake St. Clair. He has more interest than I do in what is going on up there above him. His take " The water levels up there are managed by man and sometimes nature gets in the way, there is nothing man can do to stop her."

On another note, I read this story on the subject since Phaedrus mentioned it. I find the comment section revealing of the folks who live along the water amusing. Some even blame the ebb n flow on Climate change!

Here is the story: http://ijc.org/greatlakesconnection/en/ ... m-average/

"Lived on Lake Huron for 48 years and suffered through high and low water. Water level fluctuations are a normal natural process. If you are not prepared to adapt move to a controlled water body."

"I live on Lake Huron, Ontario side and we have spent a ton of money in low water times and high water times to accommodate our property. During storms now we watch our land and fixtures ie: (docks) drift away in high water. This is crazy I’ve not seen waters this high since the 1980’s. I’m sincerely hoping for some relief before we are Broke!"

"We have cottages on Long Point Hazard Lands. We are at an all time high like mid 1980’s where 80% of the cottages were wiped out on Hastings Drive. Still some people with these dynamic beach lots place trailers on to actually use in the summer months. Our Council will not enforce the bylaws for the security of their own people. Waves crashing at their doorsteps. High water, climate change is a FACT, not about to disappear only humans will."