By Phaedrus
Anyone have an opinion? I was in the showroom and kind of liked the new models. 52mpg.
By Stinky Pete
I've heard from several people that they are terrible on wet roads, and useless in snow. My sister got rid of hers because she was afraid to drive it in the rain. I'd buy one if they ever come out with an AWD model.
Phaedrus liked this
By breitak67
I've been driving a Prius C for several years now. It does pretty well in the snow - no problems there. I think they do well because they are very heavy for a small car - the batteries. I got the "4" trim package with the DVD navigation. The voice controls work very well. My wife loves it. Downsides: 0 - 60 time is measured in minutes (exaggeration). Upsides: ridiculous mileage. I get between 50 and 58 mpg during summer and 46 in the depths of winter.

A colleague drives a 2017 Prius Prime (the new plug-in model) with the leather interior. The entertainment system is a big step up from mine. He gets about 15 miles on a charge. On the plus, that's enough for him to make a one-way trip to/from work. Our employer allows him to plug in at the office, so his trip home is on the company. His old car was a Prius Plug-in.

I'm in my 4th year of ownership and I have had 0 maintenance issues. I've replaced the tires once and done the oil changes, etc. no other maintenance, not even brake pads (regenerative breaking greatly reduces brake wear, and that car will stop on a dime).
Phaedrus liked this
By Phaedrus
I've read that they have traction problems due to low-rolling resistance tires with poor grip. Do you use different tires and snow tires?
By Ryan
Didn't realize there were so many models. Also didn't realize they had low priced models as well. Interesting.

do you notice an increase in road rage incidents targeted at you? Driving behind a prius in light traffic is the most annoying experience imaginable. As you are saving gas (and apparently brakes), I am going through gas my brakes like crazy because of your illogical braking and coasting patterns. :evil: :lol:

Then to add insult to injury you probably have a Hillary or Bernie bumper sticker in my face. :lol:

At least you are not out there speeding and running people off the road. And 50mpg? wow.
By breitak67
I don't use special tires. The weight of the car and the Tire width just seem to be in the right proportions to give it good traction. Of all the cars I've owned I think the Prius has had the best snow performance. I had a Camry for a few years that was a close second. I think the large, wide tires they are putting on cars today to make them look "sporty" contribute to traction issues in the snow - spreading the weight too much. I also think the focus on making tires quieter has had an impact, too. Most people don't swap out their tires seasonally anymore (I know I don't), so everyone lives with a compromise year-round now.

My worst car for snow performance was a Toyota MR2 Spyder I drove back in the early 2000s. 2200 pound curb weight, rear-drive, mid-engine p, 16 inch back wheels with 215 mm width and 15 front wheels with 185 mm width. 1/2 inch of snow with the slightest incline made it undriveable. Super light car with relatively huge footprints. The Prius goes the opposite direction - very heavy for its size with small footprints.
Phaedrus liked this
By breitak67
No road rage. I generally drive in the right lane, but I don't play the "get every ounce of fuel economy" game that some do. I'm generally respectful of other drivers - I wouldn't want someone driving that way in front of me, so I don't do it to others. For the first several months, though I did do that when no one was behind me, but it drove my family crazy. I would put up the detailed efficiency displays and drive to maximize everything, like a personal challenge to max out the numbers. My daughter used to lose her mind in the back seat, so I stopped. The thing is that for most trips of 10 miles or more, the efficiency games have a pretty small impact on the numbers. Not worth it. I drive the Prius like I would drive any car. I'm usually not last off the line when the light changes, no weird coasting or braking patterns. Occasionally a diesel pickup will "roll coal" in front of me because they do that to all Prii. And no Hillary or Bernie stickers. Those were banned at my house. I got the Prius simply because we needed a second car and I wanted a relatively low-cost-of-ownership, reliable ride with great fuel economy to commute to work. I only put gas in the car once a month.

By the way, at the time I bought this, Consumers Guide had rated the Prius the lowest total cost of ownership on the road 2 years in a row at $0.47/mile.
Phaedrus liked this
By Phaedrus
breitak67 wrote: Occasionally a diesel pickup will "roll coal" in front of me because they do that to all Prii.

Is this really a thing?