By breitak67
I discovered that in my municipality it is illegal to install a rain barrel on one of my downspouts to capture rain water. Apparently, though I own the property and oil, gas, and mineral rights, I do not own the water rights. That's not something that appears in the disclosure papers when you buy a property. Redirecting rain runoff is theft - capturing rain water is stealing somebody's water. Somebody downstream of me owns the water that is falling on my roof. Maybe if my property ever floods I can call this person and tell him to come get his water off my property.

I need the rain water to water a moss garden, by the way. Tap water kills moss in a few weeks - it likes very soft water. If I accidentally leave a bucket on my deck, though, I might find enough soft water in it to sustain a moss garden terrarium.
By eriknben10
That law has been around awhile in different areas. If I remember correctly they enacted it because too many people were doing it carelessly. Hence they became breeding grounds for mosquito's."Well, I ain't got a witness and I can't prove it.
"But that's my story and I'm stickin' to it."
By norton
Interesting that you said "stealing someone's water . If you spread on your garden,,,,,,it goes where it would have in the first place. :-)
By breitak67
It's an indoor moss garden in a terrarium, though ultimately, most of the water will evaporate, find its way outside, condense into clouds and rain back down any way.
norton liked this
By Phaedrus
If it is true that this is an effective method of controlling West Nile virus, why would you work against that?
By norton
Phaedrus wrote:If it is true that this is an effective method of controlling West Nile virus, why would you work against that?

Little doubt that a barrel with water in it would produce a tiny fraction of effect compared to a pond or creek area. Almost all housing developments or shopping areas end up with a run off pond now a days. Even a wheelbarrow left on it's wheel would give greater surface area.
By eriknben10
When done correctly it doesn't end up being a mosquito breeder. Once again, the controlling class punishes all for the erroneous behavior of a few. It is not illegal in the state of PA in fact some places encourage it. I installed a cistern for a client about 20 years ago. They provide soft water for the entire home if done right.
norton liked this