By eriknben10
I'm sure there is, they haven't raised the taxes in a few weeks. Wait until they get wind of the money to be made from the "stormwater management tax" some township/counties are now imposing. $80 a year per household for some of my friends.
By breitak67
@EriknBen10: my point is not whether the critically important nature of water to our lifecycle justifies paying a lot for it. My point is that it would become more expensive for no good reason if this ploy is successful. You will pay 55% more of your hard-earned dollars for it just because someone wants to profit from it and someone else "needs" to monetize it because he can't balance his checkbook. And they will monetize it at your expense. People who have no business reaching into your pocket are trying to do just that. Are you okay with that?
By eriknben10
I understand your point. My point, here in Aston and elsewhere the water rates are cheap. I also understand that when you have been given a gift for so long it is hard to lose it. It is a good deal when the infrastructure is being built the builders pay fees for new pipe and hookups etc. When those pipes need replaced it is left to the owners. From what I know about the business here isn't much but I do know a little from close friends in the business in other counties.
Having said that, I don't think it is going to happen like Chester is trying to do it but eventually someone is going to pay for replacing this critical infrastructure and government is getting out of the water business all across the country. Delco is just behind a few years.
Maybe you can answer this question. Does CWA have a bank account solely for the replacement of infrastructure in the future or will they raise the rates to pay for it? My guess is they do not and the people will cry when it comes time to pay the piper for the cheap water they bathe in today. They will blame it on the idiots they voted into office to control it. Then they will sell the system and blame it on the private company that took it over.
By breitak67
The 55% more that private corps are charging isn't going into a bank account for infrastructure replacement, either. It's going into people's pockets. It's the profit motive that makes them run that business. Private corporations run their businesses because there is profit to be gained. Municipal utilities do what they do because people need them to. The municipal utility exists to serve residents. The private corporations exist to serve themselves.
By eriknben10
The balance sheet looks good to me. I don't think a sale is going to happen anytime soon.
Net Position—End of year $226,717,847- 2015 $ 220,785,494 -2014