By Stinky Pete
I think the Dementia argument makes a lot of sense. It's clear that Trump has no idea what's going on, no sense of what's appropriate and what's not, no apparent memory of things he's said previously. But also, it's hard to believe he went through his whole life with a very limited reading ability and a fourth grade vocabulary. Apparently there are people who have been around him who see the dementia. If people around him are really seeing this, do they have an obligation to all of us to call it out?

Tom Toles, Washington Post

One of the concerns about President Trump is that he is suffering from early dementia. When I see a reference to this, my first thought is VERY early. I think he has been exhibiting troubling behaviors for as long as he has been getting people to look his way. In other words, from birth onward. He somehow got through toddlerhood without discovering that he is not, in fact, the center of the universe. And the rest, as they say, is history. Unfortunately for us, this is now the history of the United States we are writing, and we are just hoping he isn’t leading us into the dustbin thereof.

My own Exhibit A in this case is when he said he invented the term “prime the pump”: “I mean, I just … I came up with it a couple of days ago and I thought it was good.” I’m not sure how you explain this one any other way than dementia. Prime the pump is an exceedingly common phrase that not only everyone knows, but everyone also knows it a common phrase. The fact that Trump imagined and then said out loud that he thought of it is as laughable as the idea that Trump knows what literal pump-priming even is. Is there even such a thing as a gold-plated water pump?

It’s not always clear whether this dementia murmuring is considered a problem or a justification. Trump is a proven, on-the-record liar of prodigious attainment. But can it fairly be called lying if he is unaware of the facts, or of what he said previously? So hard to say! Which problem would we rather endure from a president: habitual lying or dementia? Habitual lying is disqualifying, or ought to be. It is also contagious. Honesty and deference to facts are some of those quaint “norms” that we hear about that are getting scoured away by the whirling Trump dust devil. And let’s just say that in Washington, these norms have been fragile ever since George Washington confessed to cutting down the cherry tree, which by the way, never actually happened.

But a case can be made that dementia, too, is contagious. It reminds me of a sign I saw on a young mom’s refrigerator. “Insanity is hereditary. You get it from your kids.” The most recent and eye-popping example of this possible contagion was Sen. O. Lindsey Graham’s (R-S.C.) attack on the press this week: “What concerns me about the American press is this endless, endless attempt to label the guy some kind of kook not fit to be president.” Where, oh where, does the press get an idea like this? Kook! Not fit! Oh, yeah, this is one place where: “I think he’s a kook. I think he’s crazy… He’s not fit to be president,” Graham said about then-candidate Trump in an interview on Fox News in 2016.

But it’s far worse than a senator here or there who castigates the press for remembering and believing what he told us. Trump, whatever is going on behind those piglet eyes, is pretty clearly driving the country to distraction. Distraction from how quickly our republic is going insane.
By Phaedrus
I'll wait and see if he shows up at a podium with a wet spot in his crotch.
By breitak67
This would be the perfect place for someone to write a comment about how this once great nation is succumbing to godlessness. And maybe a reference to high school gun clubs.
Phaedrus liked this