By Phaedrus
AFC wrote:
But, it does kind of sum up what this issue is really about: a political wedge by the left to hammer out their agenda. The left's push to ban AR-15's, or any other gun, isn't aimed at saving lives. It's designed to gin up outrage over a complicated issue to gain back power.

I don't think that is a good reading of history. It is the NRA that created the wedge issue over guns beginning with their creation of a PAC in the mid-Seventies
By eriknben10
Stinky Pete wrote:I'm sure another state would give Delta equivalent tax breaks to move all those jobs to their state.

It would be a win for Delta, a win for another state, a loss for workers in Georgia, and a loss for a state government that overstepped.

That depends on what they consider a "win" they will get no law passed taking the rights of law abiding citizens and will have spent an enormous amount of capital making the move and retraining a workforce. All for naught.
I agree the government overstepped when they gave away tax dollars but that is another subject.
By Stinky Pete
They won't have spent that much. Somewhere will pick up some of the costs, and will be happy to pay the cost of training workers in their state.

I don't see it as 'for naught'. Sometimes, you have to stand for something.
Last edited by Stinky Pete on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By eriknben10
Stinky Pete wrote:They won't have spent that much. Somewhere will pick up some of the costs, and will be happy to pay the cost of training workers in their state.

I'm sure they will do what is best for the business and they just learned to stay out of politics at a cost of $40M and temporary loss of customers. This too shall pass.
By Stinky Pete
I hope Amazon is paying attention to this. I think Atlanta is one of the cities that Amazon was considering. They should know that Georgia will yank tax breaks from them if they feel like it. Georgia is really cutting off their nose to spite their face.

(sorry, I should have googled this first. It seems there are a lot of articles about it already)
By eriknben10
The back story starting to look like Georgia had plans to nix the tax break before the controversy. Could it be the media want's to push their narrative? Because you know "Sometimes, you have to stand for something."

Canceling a discount partnership with the National Rifle Association was a "stupid move" on the part of Delta Air Lines, said Georgia state Sen. Michael Williams. But that's not the reason the Republican legislator is in favor of blocking a jet fuel sales tax exemption, he said.

"We do not support crony capitalism and giving public corporations tax breaks,"
By AFC
Phaedrus wrote:
AFC wrote:
But, it does kind of sum up what this issue is really about: a political wedge by the left to hammer out their agenda. The left's push to ban AR-15's, or any other gun, isn't aimed at saving lives. It's designed to gin up outrage over a complicated issue to gain back power.

I don't think that is a good reading of history. It is the NRA that created the wedge issue over guns beginning with their creation of a PAC in the mid-Seventies

Seems to me we've always had the right to own, and the NRA is a vocal advocate for those rights.

Pinning this on them insults my sensibilities. But then, the NRA is a favorite whipping boy of the left.

No worries, as this is all a moot issue now since the morally superior leftists from hollywood, who glorify gun violence for our entertainment, wore anti-gun violence pins last night.
Just like they put an end to sexual harassment when they wore red dresses at the Globes, even though they're still the biggest practitioners of it.
norton liked this
By eriknben10
Another story tells another view of the situation.
“We’ve had the very same people who were saying a week ago that this was corporate welfare reverse themselves now that because this company happens to adopt their favorite progressive causes,” said state Sen. Josh McKoon, a Columbus Republican running for secretary of state. “It’s totally hypocritical.”
He’s referring to a vote in the House last week when some Democrats criticized the tax break as harmful to Clayton County schools. It’s not an anomaly. The party’s left has long railed against doling out major incentives to big corporations; Vincent Fort, the former No. 2 Democrat in the Senate, ran for Atlanta mayor on a pledge to reject “mega tax breaks.”

https://politics.myajc.com/news/state-- ... ign=buffer
By Phaedrus
AFC wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:
AFC wrote:

Seems to me we've always had the right to own, and the NRA is a vocal advocate for those rights.

Pinning this on them insults my sensibilities. But then, the NRA is a favorite whipping boy of the left.

No worries, as this is all a moot issue now since the morally superior leftists from hollywood, who glorify gun violence for our entertainment, wore anti-gun violence pins last night.
Just like they put an end to sexual harassment when they wore red dresses at the Globes, even though they're still the biggest practitioners of it.

Yes, you have always had the right to own, but it was the NRA that politicized the issue and grew to control enough voters to make the Republican Party do their bidding. I don't see a similar anti-gun force on the left, but we made need to get more organized rather than just have the kind of gestures to which you refer.

Also, I don't think these big violent movies appeal as much to liberals.