By JW
Stinky Pete wrote:Are you selling your shore house? Is that too personal a question?

Settlement on the beach house is the 30th. Would have loved to keep it but it just wasn't in the cards.
By breitak67
The Jersey shore has a special kind of charm. I think you almost had to grow up going there (but not living there full time) to really feel the magic of it. Things that look garish and tacky to adults are fascinating to children, and that fascination stays with you, like Christmas. That's the appeal of the Boardwalk. The laid back lifestyle that you feel from having been a tourist there - everything is about entertainment. The small beach communities with clusters of bicycle-riding vacationers. The old-timey custard stands. The Victorian houses of Cape May. The restaurants on the water where you know that the fish came out of the sea that morning. The ridiculous maritime-themed decor of lobster pots, fish nets, and nobbly ship's wheels in places like the Crab House at 2-mile Island or Schellingers. The wild neon-lit world of restaurants and bars after sunset. The anticipation of spending a day exploring, knowing your day will end sitting in the bay breeze with a cold beer and watching another glorious sunset over the water (bay-side, of course). The feel of the legitimate maritime history of the area as you drive between destinations. Languidly meandering Washington Street mall and stopping at the Ugly Mug or Stewarts's for lunch. I think all this snow is making me giddy with anticipation of summer.

My preference is for the bay side of South Jersey. It's quiet, you can be alone with your thoughts or with an intimate groups of friends and have a nice gathering, whether it's surf fishing or just sitting around under an umbrella with beers and watching the clouds roll by. Florida's beaches are nicer (nicer water, nicer sand), the fishing is better and more varied (ocean, gulf, back-water), but the weather there would kill me. It's too hot for me in October when I visit family there (southern gulf shore) - I can't imagine what July and August are like.
By eriknben10
I don't mind the heat at all but the bugs down south are the size of Eagles! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By breitak67
You don't even have to go down during a buggy time of year to know how bad the bugs must be - most homes have a lanai - for folks unfamiliar, that's a big, screened-in deck area, like a screened porch on steroids, but with the roof made of screen, as well. The ubiquitous screened porches of houses in bayside communities in South Jersey have the same function - to keep your children and small pets from being carried off by horseflies and the like (I exaggerate).
By eriknben10
It amazes me every time we are on the DE Bay how those green heads make their way to our boat. Being sandwiched between the 2 sandbars I suppose the DE Bay is mostly just fly over territory for them and the bait draws them to the boat. Every now and then we see some dead fish floating around with flies abound. Last time we got into a school of bunker with the blues chasing them, after the carnage, there were hunks of fish and the flies were everywhere.
By astontibs
50 said: Seems “just Aston” topics don’t bring out the posters who say 5hey left because of Trump bickering.

If anyone is interested the meeting tonight was postponed until next Wed.

I was actually considering posting about this and I am glad someone did. The meeting this Wednesday should be pretty lively. I saw the notice of meeting on the Red Hill/Concord property this morning.