By eriknben10
So I got a card in the mail from PennDOT that states since my son 1st got his ID after Sept. 2003 he may already be documented. Anyone else do it yet? http://www.dmv.pa.gov/REALID/Pages/default.aspx
I went to the pre-verification sight and clicked on next and they take you here http://www.dmv.pa.gov/Pages/default.aspx
Am I missing something or is there no link on this page to get the pre-verification?
By breitak67
I got one of these cards in the mail for my wife, but not for me (my renewal was more recent than hers). I guess I'll be using my passport for domestic flights next year.
By breitak67
Ah, I see. It has to do with what documentation was required to verify your identity at the time you got your first DL. Wife got her first DL in the US after Sept 2003, and had to use federally-issued documentation as part of her verification. The most I ever used was my social security card. I guess I got mine back in the era when verification was the DL guy asking, "Are you really Breitak67?" Then I said, "Yep." Then he said, "Okay, good enough for me."
By eriknben10
It's just like government to send out these cards and tell us we can get verified online and then not even have the sight set up with links to do so.
By eriknben10
breitak67 wrote:I got one of these cards in the mail for my wife, but not for me (my renewal was more recent than hers). I guess I'll be using my passport for domestic flights next year.

My understanding is the only ones that can verify online are those who have gotten either ID or license after 2003 for the 1st time. Not renewals like we get every 4 years. My youngest got the card because his 1st license was 2015 and so did my other son who got his 1st state ID in 2010 at the age of 21.

They are going to go for yet another extension in PA from what I read.
By eriknben10
Phaedrus wrote:I renewed my DL a few months ago, but it is not Real ID compliant.

That's because the state is not set up for it yet. Like I said, they are applying for another extension this year. Sad part is they spent all the money to send out the cards so those who 1st got ID/ License after 2003 to be able to do it online and that isn't even set up!
By breitak67
My advice to PA residents: get a passport if you don't already have one and you might need to fly during 2019 or 2020. Government is notoriously bad at meeting scheduled commitments. PA residents could end up in the hole for a few years over this. Maybe you'll luck out and the place you have to go can be reached by train or, god forbid, bus, but I'd do the passport. The TSA VIPR squads are already trolling train and bus stations and football stadiums (?!?). I hear they even set up a highway checkpoint on Route 1 in the Florida keys. It seems like only a matter of time before you can't even go to the supermarket without federally-approved documentation for fear of being confronted by a jackbooted K-9 squad demanding proof of citizenship.