By Sandbagger
Parkside lauds volunteers for Community Day work
Published: Wednesday, September 30, 2009
By Kenn Stark, Times Correspondent

PARKSIDE — Borough council recently took time to thank the long list of residents and local businesses that helped make the third annual Community Day/90th Anniversary Celebration Sept. 19 a roaring success.

“There were a few little glitches, but overall things went very well, and I thank everyone involved for that,” council President Shirley Purcival said at the Sept. 23 council session.

Event organizers Matt and Judy Saunders were literally applauded by council for their hard work and dedication to the community.

In turn, Matt Saunders presented the borough with a list of 107 volunteers, vendors, sponsors and parade participants that need to be formally thanked by letter.

Poz Inc., of Aston, was specifically recognized for donating special anniversary T-shirts that were handed out to all Community Day attendees.

The live rock music of bands Lil’ Rock (made up of middle school students), Eclipse (high school students), and Isis (a professional group) were enjoyed by many, but not all, as a few complaints about “the noise” were filed.

Some complaints were received from residents who live near Parkside Elementary School who thought the volume was too loud during the evening showing of the movie “The Incredibles.” A glitch with the speaker system required turning the volume up higher than normal, according to Matt Saunders.

The live bands and movie presentation received overall good reviews, however, with several residents and council members asking for similar events to be staged more frequently in the future.
By Sandbagger
Race is on for mayor in Parkside
Published: Monday, October 5, 2009
By KENN STARK, Times Corresponden
t

PARKSIDE — It’s been at least two decades since borough residents were faced with a decision on who should be mayor.

Republican Ardele Gordon has been the uncontested mayor since 2001.

Gordon grew up in Aston’s “Old Ridge” section, and was a member of Sun Valley High School’s first graduating class in 1963. She has lived on Parkside’s East Elbon Road since 1965 and is married with two children and two grandchildren.

Gordon has been a homemaker most of her adult life, but worked for 12 years as a self-employed architectural consultant.

Gordon served on borough council from 1976 to 1996, logging six years as council president and several years as vice president. In 2000, she was appointed as mayor in the wake of Wesley R. Coale’s retirement, and has since been elected to the post twice.

Asked why she is seeking re-election, Gordon said: “I’ve always been involved in the community. Most days, all 2,700 residents get along just fine. On those days when we don’t, I like helping solve problems.

“Home is where we come to enjoy all we’ve worked for and Parkside is home,” she added.

Gordon is being challenged by Democrat Matt Saunders of East Roland Road, who is seeking his first public office.

Saunders has been a county resident for 28 years and has lived in Parkside for the last 13 years. He is a graduate of Cardinal O’Hara High School in Springfield, attended Penn State University and served in the U.S. Air Force for four years.

Saunders is employed as a project manager in the security and fire protection industry.

Saunders and his wife, Judy, took the lead in organizing the borough’s first three Community Day events. He has also coached girls softball in Brookhaven for the past five years and served as a member of the Parkside Election Board for the last two elections.

As to his reasons for running for mayor, Saunders said: “I’m running because I would like to implement a community-oriented policing standard within the Parkside Police Department. I want to ensure the police department has a strong commitment to public satisfaction and that all officers are conducting high-visibility patrol efforts by foot, bike and car around the entire borough to deter crime and solve community problems in a proactive manner.”
By Sandbagger
Cop Shop: Parkside promotes Paul to sergeant
Published: Thursday, October 22, 2009

There was standing room only in Parkside’s municipal building Monday as a crowd of about 80 local police officers, family members and friends turned out to watch the promotion of 25-year police veteran William Paul to the rank of sergeant.

“It’s an honor to be offered the chance to serve as Parkside’s sergeant,” Paul said before Mayor Ardele Gordon performed the swearing-in ceremony.

Paul is a lifetime Holmes, Ridley Township, resident and a 1973 Ridley High School graduate. He has been married to his wife, Karen, for 22 years. He is the father of two sons and has a stepdaughter and two grandchildren.

Paul started his law enforcement career as a patrolman for Bethel Township (1984-86), after graduating from the Delaware County Police Academy. He initially worked part-time for Parkside for two years, before becoming a full-time officer in 1988. He has served as the Parkside Police Department’s range master since 1998.

“Sgt. Paul has been working towards this goal, and I expect that he’ll do the same excellent job that he’s been doing for the last 20 years. He has earned the respect of the people of this borough and the officers of this department,” Parkside Police Chief John Egan said of his department’s first sergeant since 2000.
By DelcoBurbs1
Congratulations Officer Paul. You are one of the best police officers to ever serve in Parkside. Keep doing an excellent job and maybe when Chief Egan retires, which I hope is a long time from now, you will be promoted to lead the department.
By welshwitch63
Delco Burbs Don't you live in Brookhaven??
Last edited by welshwitch63 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By WestGarrison
Sandbagger wrote:Cop Shop: Parkside promotes Paul to sergeant
Published: Thursday, October 22, 2009

There was standing room only in Parkside’s municipal building Monday as a crowd of about 80 local police officers, family members and friends turned out to watch the promotion of 25-year police veteran William Paul to the rank of sergeant.

“It’s an honor to be offered the chance to serve as Parkside’s sergeant,” Paul said before Mayor Ardele Gordon performed the swearing-in ceremony.

Paul is a lifetime Holmes, Ridley Township, resident and a 1973 Ridley High School graduate. He has been married to his wife, Karen, for 22 years. He is the father of two sons and has a stepdaughter and two grandchildren.

Paul started his law enforcement career as a patrolman for Bethel Township (1984-86), after graduating from the Delaware County Police Academy. He initially worked part-time for Parkside for two years, before becoming a full-time officer in 1988. He has served as the Parkside Police Department’s range master since 1998.

“Sgt. Paul has been working towards this goal, and I expect that he’ll do the same excellent job that he’s been doing for the last 20 years. He has earned the respect of the people of this borough and the officers of this department,” Parkside Police Chief John Egan said of his department’s first sergeant since 2000.

Holy Crap, I had no idea he was that old. I know it won't come out in a good way, but I thought he was way younger then someone who graduated in 73. Good for him. I always liked Billy. Now I know he can hook us up with AARP discounted meals, i like him a whole lot more. Billy, just messing with you. Keep up the GREAT work.
By Sandbagger
Parkside event postponed
Published: Friday, October 23, 2009
By KENN STARK
Times Correspondent

PARKSIDE — A ceremony to dedicate a new memorial to honor the sacrifices of emergency responders was planned for this Saturday, but has been postponed to Oct. 31.

The ceremony will be held at Ilg Island — the traffic island at the intersection of Tom Sweeney Drive and West Garrison Road — starting at 11 a.m. The public is invited to attend.
By Sandbagger
Police seeking three men in Parkside home invasion
Published: Friday, October 23, 2009
By ROSE QUINN
rquinn@delcotimes.com

PARKSIDE — Three men forced their way into an 84-year-old woman’s home at gunpoint as she and a 47-year-old man who provides her assistance were returning from an errand Monday afternoon, police said.

Once inside the house in the 200 block of East Roland Road, one of the home invaders pulled out a knife and both he and the gunman threatened to kill the victims if they did not give them money, police Chief John Egan said Wednesday.

Egan said the woman’s helper was pistol-whipped to the point of unconsciousness, suffering both a fractured jaw and a concussion. The woman was not physically injured.

The ordeal, which was reported to 911 by the woman’s son about 2:45 p.m., is estimated to have lasted between 15 to 30 minutes.

“The entire house was ransacked,” Egan said.

According to Egan, the suspects left with about $14, which was taken from the woman’s helper.

“It’s our belief he was pistol-whipped because they thought there was more money,” Egan said.

The victims were in the driveway when they were approached by the three suspects.

“The suspects asked if they wanted to have the grass cut. When (the victims) said they did not, they found themselves looking down the barrel of a semiautomatic handgun,” Egan said.

Egan said the woman resides with a son, who arrived home to find the house in disarray and his mother’s helper unconscious. He called 911.

“When police arrived the 47-year-old male had come out of unconsciousness. He was treated by paramedics at the scene and later treated at Riddle Memorial Hospital.

With no similar incidents reported in the borough or surrounding towns, Egan said he feels the incident was random, mostly likely a crime of opportunity.

“This is absolutely still under investigation,” Egan said, noting that he was appealing to anyone in the neighborhood who might have seen anything suspicious to come forward.

He said some neighbors saw three unfamiliar males walking toward Chester. But at the time, they were unaware a crime had just occurred.

Authorities were not able to interview the injured victim at length until Wednesday. He provided a detailed description of the two armed assailants.

“He said he was trying to keep his eyes more on those two,” Egan said.

The three suspects were described as between 18 and 24 years old, and all were wearing what appeared to be new Timberland boots.

Officer Ben Ash is leading the investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call police headquarters at 610-876-0249.