By Somebody2Love
What qualifications does everyone running for council have? I'm sure a lot of people would like to know the same thing, before they vote. I personally would not vote for anyone who doesn't have some type of experience, just being a resident of Parkside doesn't make you qualified. Just simply being a Democrat or a Republican doesn't qualify you either.
By Sandbagger
The following is a link to the Borough Council Handbook distributed by the Commonwealth of PA. Starting on page 8 are the Qualifications required for council positions.

Borough Council Handbook
By ElephantInTheRoom
Somebody2love,

What exactly, or specifically, are you looking for in the way of qualifications?

Bill
I got a question about qualifications. In today's DELCO times, Matt Saunders is quoted to say the following:

As to his reasons for running for mayor, Saunders said: “I’m running because I would like to implement a community-oriented policing standard within the Parkside Police Department. I want to ensure the police department has a strong commitment to public satisfaction and that all officers are conducting high-visibility patrol efforts by foot, bike and car around the entire borough to deter crime and solve community problems in a proactive manner.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand it's the job of the Mayor to oversee the Police Department. However, Mr. Saunder's statement appears to cross a fine line into micro management of the Police Department. Micro management is not exactly what I would expect a good Mayor to do. The Police Chief is the hired law enforcement professional in town. Not the Mayor. The Mayor acts as a Liaison between the Police Department and the Town Council and citizens. Although the Mayor may oversee the Police Department; micromanagement is inappropriate.

This brings me to the question of qualifications based on Matt Saunder's statement to the DELCO Times. What qualifies Matt Saunders to make the above statement? What past training, and hands on experience in law enforcement, does Matt Saunders have? What qualifies Matt Saunders to decide the exact tactics used by the Police Department? Different from those tactics implemented by Chief Egan?

If Matt Saunders has past training and experience in law enforcement; he doesn't mention it in his profile. Mr. Saunders is an electrician by trade. This hardly qualifies him to tell the Police Department how to do their job, step by step, blow by blow. Let alone the expertise to know the how and why any given tactics or methods are used, or preferred, over others in our town. This is the job of the Police Chief. That is why he was hired. To be the law enforcement professional for Parkside. So the Police Chief should be given the flexiblity to do his job, without the Mayor meddling too much in how he does it. Especially a Mayor who has no past law enforcement experience. Perhaps Mr. Saunders picked up some experience in the Air Force during his 4 year enlistment. I'm sure this is what we will hear. I know it's what Mr. Yatsuk will tell us!

Bill Cropper
Parkside, PA
By parkside
This is a copy and paste job from there (democrat website)!

We are available to answer any question that you may have about our platform or our professional credentials
]Do you think you will hear from Mr. Saunders?
By ElephantInTheRoom
As to his reasons for running for mayor, Saunders said: “I’m running because I would like to implement a community-oriented policing standard within the Parkside Police Department. I want to ensure the police department has a strong commitment to public satisfaction and that all officers are conducting high-visibility patrol efforts by foot, bike and car around the entire borough to deter crime and solve community problems in a proactive manner.”

The other thing that can be concluded about Mr. Saunder's statement. He is clearly not happy with the performance of the Parkside Police Dept. So much in fact, he felt the need to run for Mayor, and shake things up. The other Parkside Dems hold the same position. After all, Mr. Saunder's statement to the DELCO Times is basically a repeat of the same statement made on the Parkside Democrat web site. The same web site that all the Parkside Dems signed their names to.

I like reading between the lines in Mr. Saunder's statement. He writes: "I want to ensure the police department has a strong commitment to public satisfaction...." Mr. Saunders says this as if the Parkside Police do not already have this commitment. I'm sure he got this idea from Mrs. Burke.

Mr. Saunders also says, ".....to deter crime and solve community problems in a proactive manner.” Again, as if the Parkside Police do not deter crime and operate in a proactive manner. So I guess Mr. Saunders wants to run for Mayor so he can use his expertise as the local electrician to whip the Police Dept. in line.

Here is something people need to ask themselves. Parkside has a pretty low crime rate. This is a pretty safe town. Despite the fact we border a city that has, hands down, the highest crime rate in DELCO. Hello? Why is that? Could it possibly be because of the Parkside Police Department? Maybe? It's safe enough in fact, for Mr. Saunders and his wife to settle down here for the past 13 years and raise their children. Now what is that telling you?

I have to say something. Mr. Saunders needs to leave the law enforcement to the pros.

Bill Cropper
Parkside, PA
By Sandbagger
the fish wrote:Mr. Saunders will have a inside informant the same one Ms. Burke has. A certain Officer who is a Democrat will make sure that the Chief and others officers will be left out to dry ….

Wow, if you have a problem with the Officer, which it sounds like you do, why don't you approach him?