By KENN STARK
Times Correspondent

PARKSIDE - It was voted down last year and died a second death by way of a no-vote in August, but a group of determined residents just won't allow a controversial firearms ordinance rest in peace.

Requested by Parkside Police Chief John Egan to help address frequent complaints of backyard target practice at an East Roland Road home, the proposed measure would prohibit any use of firearms (including air guns and compound bows) within the borough, except in defense of person or property.

The law would also allow police to enter private property to confiscate weapons used in violation of the ordinance and provide stiff fines for repeat offenders.
The proposed ordinance was defeated by a 5-2 vote in September 2010, with only council President Shirley Purcival and Councilwoman Jackie File-Barlow in support.

The debate was resurrected by Purcival in May and has been a hot topic of discussion at every council meeting since. At council's Aug. 24 session, no second was made to a motion to adopt the firearms restriction, leading to the measure being tabled indefinitely.

The last two council meetings have featured frustrated neighbors questioning the opposition as to why they do not support the proposal, despite repeated urging from Egan. The responses have included the belief that a majority of residents do not want the new ordinance passed and claims that existing laws should be adequate to protect neighbors from the threat of stray projectiles.
East Roland Resident Tom Trout again raised the specter of the twice-defeated ordinance at council's Oct. 26 meeting, asking members of the opposition if and when the measure might be reintroduced for further consideration. Speaking on behalf of his neighbors, Trout said that fearful homeowners are "sick of waiting" for council to give borough police the tool they say they need to disarm backyard target shooters.

According to Trout, the perception among many residents is that "the hands of the police are tied" without the ability to enter private property.

Councilman William Howell, who has been the most outspoken member of the opposition, insisted, however, that existing reckless endangerment laws are sufficient to deal with the situation.

"We have a law, and if they're not being used, it's not my fault," Howell stated, essentially putting the onus on Egan.

Howell indicated that he is still "rehashing" the issue, and that the tabled ordinance or a revised version may indeed be reconsidered at a future date, but only after further research and discussion with Egan.

Trout asked when residents could expect to see some action on the now-dormant proposal, but Howell refused to set a timeline, insisting that he would not act on the firearms restriction "until I'm comfortable" with it.

Other neighbors, including Bill Cropper of East Avon Road and Nick Capobianco of East Roland, jumped into the fray again at Wednesday's council session, and tried to put the opposition's feet to the fire. But after a half hour of contentious exchanges, council Vice President Frank McCollum (another member of the opposition) gaveled the debate to a close and adjourned the meeting.

Egan did not speak during this latest round of debate, but was visibly irritated at the end of the night. When asked to verify statements made by Howell regarding existing laws, Egan's curt response was: "No comment. I'm done making comment on this!"
Last edited by nick on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I totally agree with the ordinance. There are places that people can go to practice shooting their guns. It's better to prevent an accident, than wait for a tragedy to happen. Use Chester as an example, how many innocent lives were changed due to guns. Some people may have been targets, but the few little children that were MURDERED...what did they do. So I will defineately sign the petition.
nick wrote:By KENN STARK
Times Correspondent

PARKSIDE - It was voted down last year and died a second death by way of a no-vote in August, but a group of determined residents just won't allow a controversial firearms ordinance rest in peace.

Requested by Parkside Police Chief John Egan to help address frequent complaints of backyard target practice at an East Roland Road home, the proposed measure would prohibit any use of firearms (including air guns and compound bows) within the borough, except in defense of person or property.

The law would also allow police to enter private property to confiscate weapons used in violation of the ordinance and provide stiff fines for repeat offenders.
The proposed ordinance was defeated by a 5-2 vote in September 2010, with only council President Shirley Purcival and Councilwoman Jackie File-Barlow in support.

The debate was resurrected by Purcival in May and has been a hot topic of discussion at every council meeting since. At council's Aug. 24 session, no second was made to a motion to adopt the firearms restriction, leading to the measure being tabled indefinitely.

The last two council meetings have featured frustrated neighbors questioning the opposition as to why they do not support the proposal, despite repeated urging from Egan. The responses have included the belief that a majority of residents do not want the new ordinance passed and claims that existing laws should be adequate to protect neighbors from the threat of stray projectiles.
East Roland Resident Tom Trout again raised the specter of the twice-defeated ordinance at council's Oct. 26 meeting, asking members of the opposition if and when the measure might be reintroduced for further consideration. Speaking on behalf of his neighbors, Trout said that fearful homeowners are "sick of waiting" for council to give borough police the tool they say they need to disarm backyard target shooters.

According to Trout, the perception among many residents is that "the hands of the police are tied" without the ability to enter private property.

Councilman William Howell, who has been the most outspoken member of the opposition, insisted, however, that existing reckless endangerment laws are sufficient to deal with the situation.

"We have a law, and if they're not being used, it's not my fault," Howell stated, essentially putting the onus on Egan.

Howell indicated that he is still "rehashing" the issue, and that the tabled ordinance or a revised version may indeed be reconsidered at a future date, but only after further research and discussion with Egan.

Trout asked when residents could expect to see some action on the now-dormant proposal, but Howell refused to set a timeline, insisting that he would not act on the firearms restriction "until I'm comfortable" with it.

Other neighbors, including Bill Cropper of East Avon Road and Nick Capobianco of East Roland, jumped into the fray again at Wednesday's council session, and tried to put the opposition's feet to the fire. But after a half hour of contentious exchanges, council Vice President Frank McCollum (another member of the opposition) gaveled the debate to a close and adjourned the meeting.

Egan did not speak during this latest round of debate, but was visibly irritated at the end of the night. When asked to verify statements made by Howell regarding existing laws, Egan's curt response was: "No comment. I'm done making comment on this!"

What you have read in red is hearsay! There has been one person who goes to these meetings and is opposed to it they read his letter. However I have yet to see any proof of Mr. Howells claims that residents told him there against this ordinance. I have been going to these monthly meeting for the last two years missing only one. Now on the other hand I had brought to councils attention of a petition of 87 signatures for this ordinance and with residents who come down in support. And this ordinance was suggested by the Chief of Police since September 2010. You decide!
http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2011 ... =fullstory
See ya at next council meeting!
What is going on at the address that is causing a problem? What are they shooting at targets with? A BB gun? A handgun? What is going on here that we need such an ordinance?
By nick
NPD369 wrote:What is going on at the address that is causing a problem? What are they shooting at targets with? A BB gun? A handgun? What is going on here that we need such an ordinance?

Maybe these links will provide some help to everyone. If not go to the next council meeting on November 16 at 7 PM.
However you might feel your are being ridiculed for only showing up a few times, as a few council members have stated. I know for dam sure they are not talking about me. :wink:

Barbara Dowman of 229 East Roland Road asked Council what she is supposed to do if the situation arises again and the Ordinance is not passed for another month. She sits out on her deck, sometimes with her Grandchildren, and if the neighbor starts his shooting again, what should she do? Mr. Bull told her if she ever feels threatened by what the neighbor is doing, she should call 911.
http://parksideboro.com/index.php?optio ... mitstart=1
( check out all comments )

http://parksideboro.com/index.php?optio ... mitstart=5

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2011 ... =fullstory

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2011 ... 227175.txt

Here is a ordinance that was presented to council at Octobers meeting.

Lancaster PA.
Article V
Discharge of Firearms
§ 129-12. Definitions.
As used in this Article V, the following words shall have the meanings indicated:
DISCHARGE -- The expulsion of a projectile from a firearm.
FIREARM -- Any device which is designed and intended to expel a projectile by action of gunpowder, any other explosive, compressed air, compressed gas or mechanical device. By way of example and not limitation, items that are to be considered firearms under this article include guns, pistols, rifles, shotguns, BB guns, pellet guns, air rifles and paint ball guns and paint ball rifles. The definition of "firearm" shall not be deemed to include items that are traditionally considered to be children's toys when used in the manner for which they were designed.

Here are some more townships in Delaware county that have firearmes ordinances.
Aldan Borough
Aston Township
Brookhaven Borough
Chadds Ford Township
Chester Township
Collingdale Borough
Concord Township
Haverford Township
Lansdowne Borough
Marple Township
Middletown Township
Nether Providence Township
Ridley Township
Springfield Township
Thornbury Township
Upland Borough
Upper Providence Townshi :shock:
Last edited by nick on Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
So this is over someone shooting a bow and throwing chineese stars in their yard?

I can not believe that it is legal to shoot a gun in my backyard in Parkside...is this true?
NPD369 wrote:So this is over someone shooting a bow and throwing chineese stars in their yard?

I can not believe that it is legal to shoot a gun in my backyard in Parkside...is this true?

nick wrote:Maybe these links will provide some help to everyone. If not go to the next council meeting on November 16 at 7 PM.
NPD369 wrote:So this is over someone shooting a bow and throwing chineese stars in their yard?

Unless your local municipality has an ordinance banning the activity; there is no law against shooting a gun in your own private backyard property in Pennsylvania.