By Wrench97
Somehow I doubt it, since the SWDCMA is still going be handling the billing I'm sure they'll need "infrastructure improvements" or any other excuse to keep the fees in place :( :cry:
By Sandbagger
Editorial: Time for teachers to tighten their belts
Published: Tuesday, June 15, 2010

To hear some people tell it, unless tens of billions more dollars are spent on public education in this country — and in this state — we are in for a calamity of biblical proportions.

In Washington, Secretary of Education Arne Duncan says that unless the states are awarded another $23 billion in funding, a “catastrophe” is on the horizon.

(By the way, that’s above and beyond that $100 billion flushed out to the hinterlands for education by the first stimulus bill.)

In our own state, Gov. Ed Rendell echoes the sentiment of the Pennsylvania State Education Association. If $354 million more isn’t shoveled into education statewide, we’re looking at a “disaster.”

In a state that has seen seven times more private-sector workers lose their jobs than public-sector workers, it is unseemly for politicians to pretend that one job (that of a public-sector employee) is more important than those of seven factory workers.

Bottom line: We all have to live within our “means.”

But when some of us have the “means” to demand a substantial pay increases through the political process, well, then some of us truly are more equal than others.

For years, the public-education lobby has had the “means” to apply pressure to gain substantial pay increases both at the local and state level.

Using a combination of political force and public relations plays to push legislators into giving into their demands for more money, the PSEA in one of the most feared special interests in Harrisburg. Locally, school boards are packed with members sympathetic to teachers and their unions.

Vote against their budget proposals and you’re against educating children.

As if billions aren’t wasted annually on schools that don’t educate and teachers who don’t teach.

Last week, we lauded New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie for having the guts to take on his state’s teachers union.

His request that public school employees forego raises this year and pay 1.5 percent of their salaries toward their own health-insurance benefits to help balance the state’s budget hardly sounds draconian.

Since the year 2000, federal spending on K-12 education has more than doubled and still academic outcomes across the country remain in most places stalled.

Whatever is wrong with public education in this nation, it won’t be cured by throwing more money at it.

While the rest of the country is tightening its belt, it is hardly unreasonable to expect school administrators and teachers to stop demanding more.

It’s as if Oliver Twist and the boys in the workhouse have taken over the place and are collectively shaking Mr. Bumble and his fat overlords by the ankles.

Today’s workers in public education are hardly destitute and living on porridge. In many cases they make more money and have better benefits than the private-sector folks who are asked to pay their salaries.

It’s time they volunteer to tighten their own belts along with the rest of us. It would help if our politicians in Harrisburg had the courage to fight as hard to protect taxpayers as they have in the past to reward their fellow public employees.
By Sandbagger
Penn-Delco board addresses roof issues
Published: Friday, June 18, 2010
By LAURA WISELEY
Times Correspondent

ASTON — Roofs on two Penn-Delco School District buildings will most likely get an upgrade over the summer.

Consultant Steve McLaughlin told board members Tuesday night that the roof at Coebourn Elementary School is “on borrowed time” and needs repairs prior to a planned replacement in 2012.

“We’re looking at a potential catastrophic failure in the near future if nothing is done,” McLaughlin said, noting that the 20-year-old roof is two to four years beyond its life expectancy.

McLaughlin estimated it would cost between $15,000 and $20,000 in repairs to extend the roof’s life to 2012, when a roof replacement project is planned.

Replacing the roof would cost more than $800,000, he said.

McLaughlin said repairs are also needed on the roof at Northley Middle School, which is three years newer than Coebourn’s.

“A lot of upgrades are needed, but if they’re done, we can push the roof replacement project for Northley out another five years,” he said.

McLaughlin estimated that roof repairs at Northley would cost $45,000 to $50,000, and that a full roof replacement would cost about $1.5 million.

Board President Anthony Ruggieri said the board would take the recommendations into consideration.

“We’ve got a big decision to make here,” he said. “Obviously, we’ve got to reach a decision on Coebourn immediately. We’ll be having discussions very soon on what we’re going to do next.”
By Sandbagger
Chester placed under a state of emergency
Published: Saturday, June 19, 2010
By ALEX ROSE
arose@delcotimes.com

CHESTER — The city’s 11th homicide Saturday prompted Mayor Wendell N. Butler Jr., to declare a “state of emergency” and institute a police crackdown on five high-crime areas.

“One loss of life is too many, but these 11 have accumulated since the first of the year,” Butler said at a hastily called press conference at City Hall. “We’ve had approximately four in a row, which has certainly heightened our concern, and this moved me to call for action.”

A severe lockdown began Saturday night and will be in effect for five days between the hours of 9 p.m.-6 a.m. in the following areas:

Everything to the west of Lamokin Street extending to the city’s boundary; all areas bounded by Ninth Street, Morton Avenue and the city’s eastern boundary; everything from Edgmont Avenue to Upland Street between 20th Street and 2701 Madison St.; everything from Crosby Street west to the Upland Borough boundary between 12th Street and 14th Street; and all areas bounded by Penn Street and Parker Street between Third Street and Sixth Street.

According to the proclamation, no person without a “legitimate reason” will be allowed on any public street or in any other public place in those areas at night, and there will be no gathering of three or more people allowed without obtaining a permit.

The proclamation gives officers the ability to stop and question anyone in those areas during the prohibited hours. Anyone who does not have a “reasonable or legitimate reason for their activity” will be cited, said Butler, and prosecuted “to the fullest extent of the law.”

The mayor said he would ask city council at its meeting Wednesday to extend the proclamation an additional 30 days, and he was confident his request would be honored.

“We’re really not trying to restrict law-abiding folks,” said Butler. “We’re just letting them know that we’re putting this action in place, it’s to protect them. And in accordance with that, I’m going to reach out to the parents and guardians of young people. We want them to be safe, we want you to hold them accountable, know where they are.”

He said the recent rise in the murder rate is not connected to organized crime, but is targeted, one-on-one violence likely stemming from neighborhood disputes.

As part of the proclamation, all vacation and personal time for Chester Police Department members was cancelled immediately and 12-hour shifts were instituted for department personnel. Many officers would likely be working 16-hour days, said Butler.

The mayor said he is also expediting the hiring process of new officers. Chester currently has a full compliment of 96 police officers, said Butler, but the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act provides for the cost of five new full-time officers for three years.

The city has undergone a renaissance of economic development lately, but is still plagued with stories of violence and murder.

Coming off an anti-violence rally Thursday night that attracted about 300 people and an anti-violence mentoring session taking place in the same building at the same time as Saturday’s proclamation, Butler said he was disappointed with the continuing violence — but he won’t give up.

“We live with a small number of jackasses who choose to commit harm on other people,” he said. “We’ve got over 37,000 people. More than 90 percent of them, they’re just trying to live their lives in peace and harmony. And you have this up-tick of violence, which is unnerving. We’re going to put every effort, every uniformed source we’ve got on the streets of Chester to implement this declaration.”

Butler said all stakeholders — from the religious community to the school district to elected officials — have to come together to improve conditions.

“I’ve got to keep people safe no matter how many social programs or activities we have out there,” he said. “That’s number one.”

To assist in enforcing the proclamation, Butler said the Pennsylvania State Police and Delaware County Sheriff Joseph McGinn have committed additional officers. Delaware County District Attorney G. Michael Green has also committed additional investigators, he said.

Butler said he would additionally implement a gun buy-back program with council’s approval and continue to work with the federal Department of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to investigate 74 guns Chester officers have seized this year.

But the most important part of keeping the peace, said Butler, is the continued cooperation of those who live in the city.

“I urge all residents to cooperate with police by providing information to assist the police with arrests of anyone involved with the sale of drugs or possession of guns,” he said. “The residents have to be our watchdogs in the communities.”
By Sandbagger
SWDCMA board member resigns
Published: Tuesday, June 22, 201

ASTON — Commissioners accepted with regret the resignation of William Pfeiffer as chairman/member of the Southwest Delaware County Municipal Authority Board of Directors, effective July 1.

Pfeiffer stated that he enjoyed his affiliation with the SWDCMA and expressed appreciation for the opportunity to serve the community.

“Bill has done an outstanding job and has spent countless hours,” said Commissioner Mike Fulginiti. “We are forever indebted to him. We thank Mr. Pfeiffer for a job well done.”

Fulginiti asked that any individual residing in the 1st Ward who is interested in serving on the SWDCMA board to submit a resume for the available position.

— LORETTA RODGERS
By Sandbagger
County prepares for crisis with emergency drill (With Video)
Published: Tuesday, June 22, 2010
By ALEX ROSE
arose@delcotimes.com

SHARON HILL — Residents are expected to flood an emergency medication dispersal point at Academy Park High School this morning in an effort to offset the deadly effects of aerosolized anthrax following an apparent terrorist attack Monday morning.

Not really.

But the county is trying to assure residents it is prepared for just such a scenario with an ambitious test of its Strategic National Stockpile response plan this week.

“These tests are critical to our emergency preparedness,” said County Council Chairman Jack Whelan at a press conference at the high school Monday. “If today’s scenario were real, we would be having a press conference right now, explaining to the people of Delaware County and to the region what happened, what the threat was and how we’re going to respond to the threat.”

This particular scenario — in which a crop-dusting plane has spread the invisible and odorless Bacillus anthracis over sections of I-95 — triggered the establishment of a command center at the Delaware County Intermediate Unit Monday morning.

That was quickly followed by coordination with state and federal authorities, and the rapid deployment of “medication” to Points of Dispensing (PODs).

The high school will serve as one of those PODs today, testing the ability to dispense three types of medication used to counter anthrax exposure.

Other school districts will also assess the ability to receive “POD in a box” supplies and coordinate staff and volunteers to assist in dispensation.

“The exercise we are embarking on today utilizes an anthrax scenario and that anthrax scenario has the potential to become deadly for our citizens in as little as 48 hours,” said Wilbur Wolf, a consultant who has helped the county develop its emergency preparedness plan. “So what we’re preparing for is setting up a command, control, communications and coordination system, a logistics transportation system and an actual dispensing system whereby we get medications directly to the hands of our citizens. And all that has to happen within 48 hours.”

While this exercise is specific to widespread anthrax exposure, Wolf said many of the steps taken in this test could be applied to other disasters.

The county has done numerous test-runs for its emergency response plan since it was first developed in 2006, including an immunization against H1N1 “swine” flu for children that took place over several weeks last year.

This is the first slam-bang test of the SNS, however. Wolf said it was chosen because of the tight 48-hour response window.

“The anthrax scenario is an important part for us because it forces us to do all of our response within a very short time period,” he said. “We have done 14 singular site exercises already in the county. This one, we stand up and operate through the command, control, communication and coordination across at least 23 different sites all at one time, so we thought that would be significantly challenging.”

Only one person from each household is expected to come to the POD and obtain medication for the rest of the home. Wolf said there would be some coordination for busing from remote “assembly areas” where residents can leave their cars. Those close enough to walk or ride a bike to the PODs should do so, he said.

The county is also working with local organizations and law enforcement to determine where every home-bound resident lives in the county so medication can be delivered to them, said Whelan.

Volunteers are expected to begin receiving “medication” at about 9 a.m. today and the test should be concluded about 1 p.m. A review of the response will take place Friday.
By Sandbagger
Aston lauds citizen for heroic act
Published: Sunday, June 27, 2010
By Loretta Rodgers, Times Correspondent

ASTON— Commissioners publicly recognized township resident Michael Serekis for apprehending a knife-wielding man who was wanted in connection with breaking into numerous vehicles in the area.

“Mike’s valiant actions made it possible for the Aston Police Department to arrest and remove this person from the streets of our community,” said 3rd Ward Commissioner Joseph P. Possenti Jr. “Mike exemplifies the true meaning of a resident who cares for his community by risking his personal safety to see that this person was brought to justice. It’s a great honor and pleasure to present Mike with this award for his bravery.”
By JuneCarter
June 30, 2010

Delaware County Senior Magisterial District Judge arrested for inappropriate touching of a minor

HARRISBURG - A Delaware County Senior Magisterial District Judge was arrested today by agents from the Attorney General's Office for alleged inappropriate touching of a minor female.
Attorney General Tom Corbett identified the defendant as Gerald Liberace, 69, 36 Nancy Drive, Havertown, Delaware County. Liberace is the Senior Magisterial District Judge in Haverford Township, Delaware County.

Evidence and testimony regarding the case was presented to a statewide investigating grand jury, which recommended the criminal charges being filed today.

The grand jury found that in August 2004 Liberace was alone with a 12-year old female, while her mother spent the weekend with friends.

According to the grand jury, Liberace began scratching the girl's back, while she was in his bed. During this time, Liberace allegedly reached his hand under her panties, below the waist line and began rubbing the girl's buttocks.

The grand jury found that Liberace continued to engage in other inappropriate contact with the girl.

Liberace is charged with one count each of indecent assault, endangering the welfare of a child and corruption of minors. Each count is a first degree misdemeanor and carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Liberace was arrested this morning and preliminarily arraigned before Media Magisterial District Judge Stephanie Kline. He was released on $5,000 unsecured bail.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Monday, July 26, 2010 at 8:30 a.m.

Corbett thanked the Delaware County District Attorney's Office and the Haverford Police Department for their assistance with the investigation.

(A person charged with a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty.)

# # #
By Sandbagger
Community policing: A public viewpoint
Published: Sunday, July 04, 2010
By Rose Quinn, rquinn@delcotimes.com

Ben Franklin Project survey is a takeoff on the traditional Delaware County Daily/Sunday Times People Poll. Today’s question, asked to four passersby on State Street in Media - the county seat - was generated through the paper’s first online chat. The same question was then presented to leaders in both county government and the area of law enforcement.

What do you think about the idea of consolidating all police departments in Delaware County into one countywide law enforcement agency?

Regina Byrd of Media: I’m opposed. Every law enforcement agency already has its own boundaries and I am satisfied with my department as it is. In emergency situations, officers come directly to a home in the borough in a prompt manner.

Dennis DeRosa of Nether Providence I think it would be better in the sense that a regional approach would be more streamlined. Consistency would be better and I also think there would a cost savings to consider by consolidating the resources of the 49 municipalities.

Stephen Ream of Brookhaven: I don’t want to give up my law authority to a centralized authority. But the only way it might work would be if the local police chiefs were still in their supervisory capacity. As you get more regionalized, I think the issue of pay becomes a technical problem. “Who is going to pay?”

Susan Ream of Brookhaven: I can see the idea as cost- saving thing...but I think you would definitely lose something. I am happy with the way it is.

Chris Jacobsen of Rose Valley: I wish my police department (Pennsylvania State Police) was physically closer to us as it is, so no I would not be in favor of it. Who knows where it would wind up being centrally.

John J. Whelan, chairman of Delaware County Council: I think the disadvantage is you lost the local police officer who is familiar with the neighborhood, attentive to the residents and understands the needs of the community. From an economic standpoint, if the ability to consolidate would significantly reduce the tax burden, I would agree it is something that needs to be considered.

James Magaw, Trainer police chief and president of the Delaware County Police Chiefs Association: I would not be in favor of it. I conducted a community policing survey of my own back in the mid-90s. I surveyed 800 homes in three neighborhoods. The response was 21 percent. Residents were most concerned about quality-of-life crimes, like the woman whose husband went out to cut the grass only to find that their lawnmower had been stolen. Among the things they liked the most was knowing the officers who were patrolling their streets, and quick response times. And that is what you would lose.